Page 202 of 601 FirstFirst ... 102152192200201202203204212252302 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,020 of 6008

Thread: Conavirus......

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Prove that my invisible airborne virus entered your airways and sure. But you have to prove it, an event that can’t be verified by eyesight.
    I suppose they could analyze the pathogen for DNA, or wouldn't contact tracing establish a link? It's all conjecture at this point, anyway.

IMO, people who refuse to wear masks should simply be shunned, most especially the aggressive ones we keep seeing in videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I think CL has it right. You send a kid home that won’t wear a mask. You don’t suspend them. I think not wearing a mask and purposely spitting on someone are 2 different things. The large stores here have security at the door and if you don’t have a mask they don’t let you enter.
    I think hairs are being split here. The definition of suspend is temporarily prevent from continuing or being in force or effect. How is suspend different from sending a kid home?

In Public School Language, “suspend” goes on a child’s permanent record for willful misbehavior. “Sending them home” implies no entry on the permanent record, but a chance for the parents/guardianns to effect an attitude adjustment, leading to the desired school behavior, in this case, wearing a mask.

But that is public schools, where I spent my 32 year career. CL teaches in a private school- it may be different there.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I'm always dismayed to see how many think it appropriate to use the state to punish people for what they may have done, or think, or say.
    So what is your suggestion on handling things such as hate crimes(things people say) and situations where one person is endangering someone else(things people have done), or preventing such situations from even arising?
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I'm always dismayed to see how many think it appropriate to use the state to punish people for what they may have done, or think, or say. It reminds me of a TV commercial from several years ago where the catch phrase was "That's not how this works! That's not how any of this works!"
    Like the many people of color who are summarily executed for something they may have done, might still do, or whom they may have associated with?

Back to school uniform, Portland style (sent to me by a friend):

Back to School.jpg

Made me laugh out loud.

I'm always dismayed to see how many think it appropriate to use the state to punish people for what they may have done, or think, or say. It reminds me of a TV commercial from several years ago where the catch phrase was "That's not how this works! That's not how any of this works!"
    How do you think it should work?

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    So what is your suggestion on handling things such as hate crimes(things people say) and situations where one person is endangering someone else(things people have done), or preventing such situations from even arising?
    The idea of a hate crime is antithetical to all the freedoms of expression we enjoy as a civilized society. If I do you harm, punish me for my actions which harm you and not for what I think or say which may offend you.

If I pass you in a parking lot on my way from my car to the grocery store and say hello while pulling my mask from my pocket and putting it on, should you report me to the authorities for your perception of my wanton endangerment? And should I be prosecuted for it? I think that's the natural progression of any popular desire to punish people for what they may have done, so, my suggestion is to avoid people whose thoughts or beliefs you find offensive.

On the flip side, if I sneeze in your face as we pass in the parking lot and you become sick and die as a result and your sickness can be traced directly back to me, consider me guilty as charged and prosecute me, but only if it can be traced directly back to me and you can show intent. The idea of punishing someone who maybe harmed you would be a travesty. Who knows what you may have touched or inhaled elsewhere.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Like the many people of color who are summarily executed for something they may have done, might still do, or whom they may have associated with?
    Summarily executed? Do you mean like Che Guevara or Chairman Mao or any number of ideologues throughout history have done? I haven't seen anything like that recently. Have you?

I take that back, I have seen many attempts recently to summarily execute police officers but that's probably not what you meant is it?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    How do you think it should work?
    I'm a big fan of rationally.

Thread Information