Page 558 of 563 FirstFirst ... 58458508548556557558559560 ... LastLast
Results 5,571 to 5,580 of 5624

Thread: Conavirus......

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Right, it counts people who enter the hospital with Covid but not because of Covid. I don’t think it’s meaningless though. If the counting has been consistent from day one of Covid, if they’ll give some information about Covid saturation in our populace.
    The counting has not been consistent over time. It's been maybe 6 months out of a pandemic now in its third year that this has been measured.

Saturation is very high due to increased transmissibility, and often unknown due to decreased severity. Seropositivity in blood samples show at least 75% of kids have been exposed already, probably higher in the Northeast where I am since the latest minisurge has hit us already from the 12 subvariant.

we required high quality masks and did not put teenagers who were being responsible and careful in a position to be infected by those who were not. Then we decided it was ok to put a bunch of them in a questionably ventilated gym dancing for hours with the students behaviorally most likely to be sick unmasked.

last year’s prom theme was “masquerade”. Zero Post prom cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post

we required high quality masks and did not put teenagers who were being responsible and careful in a position to be infected by those who were not. Then we decided it was ok to put a bunch of them in a questionably ventilated gym dancing for hours with the students behaviorally most likely to be sick unmasked.

last year’s prom theme was “masquerade”. Zero Post prom cases.
    The solution is to just stop testing. We don't do this with the flu or colds. Covid is now milder and milder. As you noted, no one is hospitalized. Here is an article on the shortcomings of a testing based approach in the real world:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...f0c3c3a0989e63

The article has your paranoid slant, but read between the lines and see where the country and the world are and where they are going to stay.

Reformed covidians like Bill Gates are now saying it's not that serious except for certain high risk individuals and that is where the focus should be, and we never should have shut down schools etc. Let the kids be kids and stop scaring them by obsessing over covid. It's a respiratory virus - big whoop.

A note from my medical supervisor today:

We are moving into a phase of the pandemic where it is not possible to provide the public protections so the defenses will have to be at the personal health level. Those at risk are now going to have to protect themselves rather than the protection afforded by public policy and the communities actions. Our rates have been so low for so long because we asked community members to mask early on. The current variant is much more highly contagious and the newest even more highly contagious variant BA2.12.1 is already in Whatcom County and will likely replace the BA 2 strain in the next few weeks.

What I believe is essential now is that people at risk and those that live with them will need to take on the responsibility of not getting COVID. This is much more difficult than when the community was protecting them. Some would say we are throwing the elders, children under 5 and the half of the school age population that is not immunized and those with disabling immune compromise under the bus. I think what they need to do now to not get COVID is the following:

What those at high risk and the household contacts of high risk people need to do now:

Test- high risk individuals-- before you gather with those you do not live with every day (TWO tests 24 hours apart)
    Test- all the rest of us before you are with new people inside an enclosed space, OR those at high risk from infection

Mask to protect yourself if you are at high risk
    Mask to protect high risk if you are going to be around them
    Up the quality of mask to at least KN 95 or N 95 well fitted to face (these will be work to breath through)

It is NEVER too late to vaccinate. Unvaccinated people remain at dramatically higher risk of hospitalization and death if infected. And Booster shots significantly reduce risks even further.

Ask for treatment if high risk. The new strain is even more contagious, but remains vulnerable to our vaccines, antivirals and protection methods if we use them. Everyone 12 yo and older (and over 40 Kg) that is higher risk should be offered Paxlovid as soon as possible after diagnosis. For some high risk people that can not vaccinate or in whom vaccine will not work well due to medical conditions preventive medications are available and should be used (talk to your doctor).

Paxlovid even for mild to moderate infection is indicated. it is also complicated and checking kidney function (eGFR) and liver function tests (LFTs) is essential prior to treatment (both are in the commonly run Comprehensive Metabolic Panel) Depending on those results dose may need to be adjusted or medication may be contraindicated if severe enough compromise is found. AND Check for drug interactions, which are very common (and include things like St. John’s Wart herbal treatments) but can easily be looked up with online tools. Some medications like simvastatin have to be stopped for 24 hours before starting Paxlovid and then not restarted until 48 hours after the treatment course is completed.

Long COVID is real and relatively common, but it will be a year before we really know the significance of the medical condition that raise after acute COVID. What is emerging is concerning. It dose not require severe illness with the acute infection, even mild infections can lead to long COVID symptoms. A recent study showed a 38% increase in type 1 diabetes in a matched control study of those infected vs not infected with COVID. For now it will still be important to avoid infection even thought it appears to be causing only mild disease in the upper airways and lungs. Any tissue or organ that has ACE receptors becomes infected and can be impacted. The pulmonary symptoms that we have spent so much time being concerned about at just one small aspect of the total body infection when they occur. It infects circulatory, cardiac, brain, pancreatic, and many other body systems.

Brother and his wife both got Covid followed by the antiviral and then came down with what they called rebound Covid. Haven't heard much about that but jeez we wish this crap would stop.

I certainly would not trust Bae's source. No attention to detail.

"the communities actions"

"those with disabling immune compromise"

"These will be hard work to breath through" [the correct word is breathe and yes, it is hard for toddlers in NYC and others to wear masks, other generations are important too, tired of the gerontocracy]

Why are they listing weight in kg? Obviously not direction designed for Americans.

"the significance of the medical condition that raise"

"even thought it appears to be causing mild disease"

"being concerned about at just one aspect"

Not to mention the smaller grammatical and punctuation errors.

This is so poorly written that, along with the metric reference, it appears to me that this is Russian propaganda submitted to an online translator.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post

"the communities actions"

"those with disabling immune compromise"

"These will be hard work to breath through" [the correct word is breathe and yes, it is hard for toddlers in NYC and others to wear masks, other generations are important too, tired of the gerontocracy]

Why are they listing weight in kg? Obviously not direction designed for Americans.

"the significance of the medical condition that raise"

"even thought it appears to be causing mild disease"

"being concerned about at just one aspect"

Not to mention the smaller grammatical and punctuation errors.

This is so poorly written that, along with the metric reference, it appears to me that this is Russian propaganda submitted to an online translator.
    I don’t think most of the five—year-olds will be much phased by Covid anyway.

My source is a well-respected physician and researcher, who happens to have directed some of the most effective covid response efforts in the country. He has active research projects all over the world, teaches at several universities, and has an active hands-on practice.

I'm sure any typos in the hasty email he sent out completely overrule his decades of experience, and his reputation around the world, compared to your deep knowledge. (Hint, it wasn't a press release...)

Pathetic of you, really.

If you don't want the information I share, just block me for goodness sake.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    My source is a well-respected physician and researcher, who happens to have directed some of the most effective covid response efforts in the country. He has active research projects all over the world, teaches at several universities, and has an active hands-on practice.

I'm sure any typos in the hasty email he sent out completely overrule his decades of experience, and his reputation around the world, compared to your deep knowledge. (Hint, it wasn't a press release...)

Pathetic of you, really.

If you don't want the information I share, just block me for goodness sake.
    "All over the world" - Russia? Maybe China? How do you explain the weight in kilograms? That's not a typo.

"All over the world" - Russia? Maybe China? How do you explain the weight in kilograms? That's not a typo.
    Perhaps, oh, I don't know, because we use the metric system generally in science and medicine? Even here in the USA(*)?

You don't even know what you don't know, do you?

(*) Look, here's a random screenshot from one of our local protocols, here in the USA...

Thread Information