Page 211 of 601 FirstFirst ... 111161201209210211212213221261311 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,110 of 6008

Thread: Conavirus......

I thought people were spending quarantine baking bread. At least until they got interested in dismantling systemic racism. Why the need for freezers? It's not like they reduce the need for toilet paper... Or do they and I just haven't learned about it yet? It's 2020 so I suppose anything's possible including the headline "Buzzfeed's six tips for using your freezer to reduce your toilet paper need". Thankfully, though, I have NOT seen that headline yet.

Early on in the pandemic there were several threats of serious disruptions of the food supply, some more dire than others. There were, in fact, some disruptions, but nothing like some people thought. Along with purchasing mounds of toilet paper and disinfectant wipes, though, people apparently bought freezers.

I suppose keeping spare rolls of TP in the freezer would be one way to reduce TP use -- who wants to use cold paper down there?
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

It always seemed risky to me to fill up freezers for this reason. Loss of power and your investment is gone. Canned and dried foods are better for the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    It always seemed risky to me to fill up freezers for this reason. Loss of power and your investment is gone. Canned and dried foods are better for the end of the world.
    I agree, Tammy. I've only had a big refrigerator with bottom freezer go out on me and that was enough of a lesson learned. The cost in food waste alone was just so sad.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I don’t think it is a good idea during a pandemic to just have a refrigerator freezer. I don’t want to have to keep going to the grocery store or cook small amounts daily. Canned and dried are also used but freshly frozen fruits and vegetables are a wonderful change. I have a small freezer filled to the max .... thankfuly. YLMV

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Early on in the pandemic there were several threats of serious disruptions of the food supply, some more dire than others. There were, in fact, some disruptions, but nothing like some people thought. Along with purchasing mounds of toilet paper and disinfectant wipes, though, people apparently bought freezers.

I suppose keeping spare rolls of TP in the freezer would be one way to reduce TP use -- who wants to use cold paper down there?
    Sentry and Festival Foods here within the last few weeks have sent out emails and indicated on ads of possible shortages of fresh fruits and vegetables. I posted the info in the food section on Sept 6.

We have 2 refrigerators because a old one came with the house. We were out of town when the one in the kitchen died right after shopping and I lost 400 of food. We sold our chest freezer years ago.

Heard on the BBC this morning that the UK govt is now reversing their earlier policy for people to return to workplaces. Anyone who can work from home should resume working at home.

Loss of power and your investment is gone. Canned and dried foods are better for the end of the world.
    I figure if the end of the world comes along, we're screwed anyway. I don't know how to strip tree bark with my teeth or hunt down snakes for dinner and there's not one piece of ammo in the house unless we somehow McGyver a slingshot.

There aren't many canned/dried options for those of us who don't eat foods higher in carbohydrates. Pasta/noodles/rice, beans, grains, canned fruits, meals based on those (like canned pasta with meat sauce), etc., won't feed us healthfully through a (more likely here) supply chain disruption. So we take the risk. If the problem is the freezer failing, my mom has one in her basement that she has been "close to emptying" for four or five years now (why we bought our own freezer). I suppose we could buy a generator or use one our neighbors may have. Worst case, our freezer will fit in my car; we can take it to our kids' house or a friend's house and keep it plugged in. If a power outage exceeds that range, we have bigger problems than a freezer full of thawing food.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I thought people were spending quarantine baking bread. At least until they got interested in dismantling systemic racism. Why the need for freezers? It's not like they reduce the need for toilet paper... Or do they and I just haven't learned about it yet? It's 2020 so I suppose anything's possible including the headline "Buzzfeed's six tips for using your freezer to reduce your toilet paper need". Thankfully, though, I have NOT seen that headline yet.
    Also with a freezer you won’t have to go to the store as much.

Thread Information