Page 47 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast

Thread: Conavirus......

The impact is really starting to show in my area. And listening to the conversations is... interesting, to say the least. Some folks are panicking while others are "poo-poo'ing" the alarmists.

I am still going to work - small office-type company with less than 8 employees - but the shut-downs are starting to be everywhere. Events being canceled right and left. Supposed to go to a family "first birthday" party on Saturday and am just not sure. And still have a bit of the chest congestion from the illness that started in January and ran thru February. I think I would fall into the "dead" category if I caught this any time soon.

Sigh...
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I hate crowds. [...] Who knew those would have survival value?
    As I've seen introverts post on social media several times now, "I've been preparing for this my entire life!"

Informative article (with lots of math and charts) on how well social distancing can blunt the impact of COVID-19's spread and lethality: Coronavirus: Why You Must Act Now

We're prepared for a couple of weeks at home if need be. DW is home today, attending via teleconferencing a meeting that (earlier this week) was scheduled as a live gathering. We have no social plans for this weekend or next. I will be out sometime today (off-peak) to pick up a few items I'd like to have in the house if we cannot get out. And I've asked the rest of the board of our dancing club to think about cancelling dances. Our next one is three weeks away; no idea where we will be by then (medically speaking). Other dance groups in the state (even outstate where no cases of COVID-19 have been reported) already have cancelled their dances (scheduled closer than ours). It just seems prudent though I know a significant component of our dancers are not of a mind to worry about it (despite being in target demographics for infection/death).

We are living in "interesting" times....
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    L, not even comparable!
    Iíll take a vicious whipping over getting dragged to Machu Picchu any time.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I hate crowds. I think travel is an exercise in masochism. I’ve bought staples in bulk for years to save money. I don’t like spending money on concerts or sporting events. I quit my job. I plan shopping and movies for non-peak periods. Who knew those would have survival value?
    Every once in awhile, the stars align and LDAHL and I agree on an issue...
    I'm in the "I've been preparing for this all my life" crowd.
    On the other hand, I have friends who are planning a family trip to Maui, giddy about cheap fares. Yikes.

Yesterday I had to go to CVS to pick up a scrip, and afterwards I went into the supermarket next door to continue stocking up. Despite it being mid-morning on a weekday, the store was mobbed. Looks like people in my area (lower Fairfield County, Connecticut) are starting to take this seriously.

My company closed its offices Wednesday and I've been working from home since then. This is something I do only under duress--usually in very bad weather--largely because I don't really have a home office set up in my minimalist apartment. I need a couple of good size monitors to get a lot of my work done, and trying to do things on a tiny laptop screen is a real pain in the neck--literally, since I don't have a decent office chair. But the worst thing is the isolation. I don't really have enough to do, and I'm going buggy with boredom.

Office is supposed to reopen Monday after "deep cleaning," but the way things are unfolding I doubt it will reopen or that it would be wise to go in if they do.

Even with good luck (i.e., not getting sick) this is going to be a king-size drag.

Hubster's office is preparing for work-at-home. He is not excited. He has 2 24" monitors on his desk and uses them both constantly. Working security off a 10" laptop screen is not his idea of a good time

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Hubster's office is preparing for work-at-home. He is not excited. He has 2 24" monitors on his desk and uses them both constantly. Working security off a 10" laptop screen is not his idea of a good time
    Monitors are pretty cheap now, and Amazon delivers promptly. I'd bite the bullet.
    Just checked. Two Acer monitors would run about $200--probably what you'd save in transportation and coffee stops.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Monitors are pretty cheap now, and Amazon delivers promptly. I'd bite the bullet.
    Just checked. Two Acer monitors would run about $200--probably what you'd save in transportation and coffee stops.
    It's his call. We don't do coffee shops and we're close to work so that's low cost. Maybe if it becomes reality he'll borrow one from his work desk-he will need the cabling as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Every once in awhile, the stars align and LDAHL and I agree on an issue...
    I'm in the "I've been preparing for this all my life" crowd.
    On the other hand, I have friends who are planning a family trip to Maui, giddy about cheap fares. Yikes.
    Iím waiting for the CDC to recommend whiskey, butter brickle and orange beef, and theyíll be able to feature me in PSAs.

I suppose if youíre relatively young and healthy, you could go for cheap fares, etc, as a sort of risk arbitrage exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    It's his call. We don't do coffee shops and we're close to work so that's low cost. Maybe if it becomes reality he'll borrow one from his work desk-he will need the cabling as well.
    Probably a tax write-off, as well. I'd go for it just to get the panorama at home.
    You might just need a USB hub.

Thread Information