Page 132 of 601 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142182232 ... LastLast
Results 1,311 to 1,320 of 6008

Thread: Conavirus......

Ahhh... Y2K... the last part of my coding/programmer career was working on that. Suffice to say, I now ALWAYS write out the full 4-digit year on everything. LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Ahhh... Y2K... the last part of my coding/programmer career was working on that.
    I spent a solid 2 years in QA specifically focused on y2k testing. There were real issues to fix, and fix we did. And our software worked flawlessly when Jan 1, 2000 came along. That doesn't make it a hoax.

Most states had some version of a stay at home order. This prevented a lot of people from contracting Covid and kept infection rates (relatively) low-ish. That doesn't make it a hoax.

So many computer people on this forum! The rest of us were out partying like it was 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    So many computer people on this forum! The rest of us were out partying like it was 1999.
    Hahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Yet we, who were probably the most informed people on the planet about the issues, decided it made good sense to spend this effort, weighing the risks and costs based on data, not fear.
    Thank you, bae. Nothing I could add to that response.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    ROFLOL!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I well remember the COBOL coders’ last stand. They were indeed the best informed people on the issues. After all, it was largely their lack of foresight that created them. But in their defense, nobody thought so many poorly documented lines of code would still be in use many years in the future.

I think it’s interesting how well we are able to ignore the approach of inevitable crises until it’s almost too late, whether in software, pestilence or insolvency of retirement systems.

California is now mandating masks. I hope other states follow suit.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    I spent a solid 2 years in QA specifically focused on y2k testing. There were real issues to fix, and fix we did. And our software worked flawlessly when Jan 1, 2000 came along. That doesn't make it a hoax.

Most states had some version of a stay at home order. This prevented a lot of people from contracting Covid and kept infection rates (relatively) low-ish. That doesn't make it a hoax.
    Ah.... yeah..so.....about those TPS reports.....
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

California is now mandating masks.
    about time (although people do wear masks). Too bad it only came after that health director in orange county had to lose their job over it etc.- not going to be any qualified people left in government at any level by the time Trump and his merry band of idiots is done with us.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information