Page 43 of 601 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143543 ... LastLast

Thread: Conavirus......

I think that's prudent, happystuff. Glad you guys are trying to play it safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Are SARS and MERS a variant of the flu and how do they compare to Covid-19 or do they all compare to each other and the common flu?
    YES. Covid-19 is the 7th variance of Coronavirus. Common flu is not related. Covid is not "just a flu" as I've seen some people say out there on FB.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/types.html

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    YES. Covid-19 is the 7th variance of Coronavirus. Common flu is not related. Covid is not "just a flu" as I've seen some people say out there on FB.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/types.html
    Last year we had multiple respiratory infections in our house, very unusual for me but not so unusual for DH. Our dog was also coughing and hacking throughout the year. We joked that we had a zoonosis infection we were passing back and forth, likely us passing it to him. Poor old guy.

But really it was more likely his heart condition was causing his cough and inability to get ride of mucus.

I wont even voice the worry I have about our dog rescue operation during this health crises. Right now I have a smart, well behaved foster dog who unfortunately hates other dogs. I wont be able to take in any more dogs. Unless we operate from two houses, city and Hermann. Hmmmm, that was a new thought.

We have already had some small measure of civil disorder here:

- local infant-care/preschool facility was broken into this week and had its supply closet of toilet paper, paper towels, wipes, sanitizing supplies cleaned out

- parking lot in the public school complex is having cars broken into and riffled through, peoples' car supply kits getting taken

The County is poised to declare a state of emergency 9am tomorrow morning, so that should calm things down...

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post

- local infant-care/preschool facility was broken into this week and had its supply closet of toilet paper, paper towels, wipes, sanitizing supplies cleaned out

- parking lot in the public school complex is having cars broken into and riffled through, peoples' car supply kits getting taken

The County is poised to declare a state of emergency 9am tomorrow morning, so that should calm things down...
    What is a “car supply kit?”

Here, they just break into cars primarily looking for guns, altho cash and high end electronics are attractive. Perhaps we have not reached the toilet paper thieving stage yet.

Really, what is this bloody obsession with toilet paper? I just don’t get it. Granted, it is easy for me to do laundry and I am constantly doing pet laundery with bodily excretions but it isnt that hard to come up with an alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post

I read a good article about how this thing is scary in two ways: the virus itself, but also the fear-based behavior of people who are so quick to abandon civility. We heard about the consequences of that mindset in Germany during WWII, but our relative Pax Americana has kept us from witnessing it first hand. Frankly, if I have a choice between a virus and a mob of fearful people, give me the virus.

Stealing TP and sanitizing wipes from a PRESCHOOL?? Really??
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by iris lily View Post
    What is a “car supply kit?”
    Because of our location, people here tend to carry a wee bit of stuff in their car in case they get stranded by the ferry somewhere: a bit of food, bottled water, blanket, toilet paper, wipes, a book - that sort of stuff.

Bae, that’s really awful. Makes you really wonder about people.

My understanding--from what I saw on the news last night--is that what is different about this virus is that it's highly contagious, so unless it's contained early (which we can't gauge without tests) it will result in overwhelming the one million hospital beds we have available in this country, putting people who need them for other conditions at increased risk and completely swamping medical personnel. We can be thankful that it's not more debilitating for most.

The only thing that worries me about Covid-19, is those who are not concerned and calling it 'the flu'. Those are the people not washing their hands, coughing into their hands, touching themselves and everything around them. These things make me crazy on any day of any year! A surgical RN can retire, but she's still ever vigilant!

Thread Information