Page 206 of 228 FirstFirst ... 106156196204205206207208216 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,060 of 2271

Thread: Conavirus......

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Speaking of Europe, I was listening online to BBC Radio 5 live late in the week. There’s some discussion of another lockdown in the UK. The host brought up the further economic damage another lockdown could do. One caller was screaming at him, saying that anyone who worries about the economy is a murderer. Another caller was talking about he was about to lose his house.

I know some parts of England are having more restrictions added due to number of rising cases.
    Yes. In various parts of Europe they are talking about shutting down businesses, not allowing people to travel more than 1 kilometer from home, and cutting way down on gathering sizes, because masks just are not cutting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Yes. In various parts of Europe they are talking about shutting down businesses, not allowing people to travel more than 1 kilometer from home, and cutting way down on gathering sizes, because masks just are not cutting it.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/16/cdc-...-vaccine-.html

Face coverings are “the most powerful public health tool” the nation has against the coronavirus and might even provide better protection against it than a vaccine, the head of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention told lawmakers Wednesday.

“We have clear scientific evidence they work, and they are our best defense,” CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield said. “I might even go so far as to say that this face mask is more guaranteed to protect me against Covid than when I take a Covid vaccine.”

That's my admittedly lay view of masks vs vaccines as well. If the vaccine proves to be effective, I would still wear a mask until the virus subsides.

I was shopping today in the antique mall and a customer was yelling at a employee because employee’s mask was not covering some essential part of her face.

Eye roll.

These are semi genteel people who work here and who shop here, so it’s not like Walmart hoosiers. It was slightly entertaining, slightly distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane v2.0 View Post
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/16/cdc-...-vaccine-.html

Face coverings are “the most powerful public health tool” the nation has against the coronavirus and might even provide better protection against it than a vaccine, the head of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention told lawmakers Wednesday.

“We have clear scientific evidence they work, and they are our best defense,” CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield said. “I might even go so far as to say that this face mask is more guaranteed to protect me against Covid than when I take a Covid vaccine.”

That's my admittedly lay view of masks vs vaccines as well. If the vaccine proves to be effective, I would still wear a mask until the virus subsides.
    According to a scientist at UC Davis "social distancing reduces the risk of transmission of the virus by 90%, and wearing masks decreases the risk by 65%."

I am hoping for a vaccine that is 70% effective, a figure I have seen scientists say is realistic. But for now social distancing is our best defense. Masks even if properly and consistently worn do not stop small particles. An analogy would be celibacy is much better than a condom at preventing pregnancy.

People are pushing masks because they are lonely and bored and want to have things like weekly card parties with their friends and weekly date nights with their spouses instead of staying home until this is over.

To me, those figures mean we keep using both social distancing and masks until we get a vaccine and a cure. Why not improve our odds and lessen the chances of folks getting sick?

Tybee do you wear a mask when you are by yourself at home? Or is the social distancing sufficient? What if you are out walking and you can avoid others by crossing the street? Why do both if one will suffice and masks are burdensome and impede breathing?

Huh? Why would I wear a mask by myself at home? I am not following you. Who would do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Huh? Why would I wear a mask by myself at home? I am not following you. Who would do that?
    You could have an open window and germs float over from the neighbors. But the distance is great enough to protect you. Distance is our savior, not masks.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Tybee do you wear a mask when you are by yourself at home? Or is the social distancing sufficient? What if you are out walking and you can avoid others by crossing the street? Why do both if one will suffice and masks are burdensome and impede breathing?
    Wear a mask by yourself at home? You really don't make sense. Out walking AND cross the street - yes, I still wear a mask! Masks may be burdensome and impede breathing to some, but why not ask Tammy on these forums how her covid recovery is going after... how many WEEKS/MONTHS!?!?

Keep being a whiner about masks and I'll still wear one to help keep myself and people like you safer. Have a good day and I really hope you DON'T get the virus.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

Masks are also harmful because they give people a false sense of security. They stop social distancing and put themselves at greater risk than if they were barefaced and social distancing. They are only 65% protected versus 90% protected. They are worse off.

Thread Information