Page 207 of 228 FirstFirst ... 107157197205206207208209217 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,070 of 2271

Thread: Conavirus......

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Masks are also harmful because they give people a false sense of security. They stop social distancing and put themselves at greater risk than if they were barefaced and social distancing. They are only 65% protected versus 90% protected. They are worse off.
    What people?
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

Another way to think of this is imagine that you know for a fact that someone has covid. Would you hang around them less than 6 feet apart only wearing a random cloth face covering? Would you go into a covid ICU like this and feel safe, or would you keep your distance? Which is safer, the mask which some are saying is "the best" protection, better than a vaccine? Or the distance, staying away from the hospital, which I and experts say is "the best"?

Back to my analogy. If you knew for a fact someone had AIDS would you say okay I'll have sex with the person, use a condom and take the chance it won't break? Or would you sexually distance yourself from that person, or double bag or something equivalent to an N-95 mask specially fit to your face?

Yppej, I don't know if you have already answered this somewhere or not but... how, when, where and why do you actually wear a mask?

Do you wear one to protect yourself AND others, or just yourself, or not even to protect yourself?

Do you wear a mask only where the rules/requirements mandate the wearing of one? If your work made it optional, would you still wear one? If you are outside, do you wear one? When you are not wearing one are you ensuring you are social distancing properly?

When you wear a mask, do you wear it properly or just 'however', as long as it is somewhere on your face?

And I ask these questions to try to figure out what you are actually doing - not other people, but you! Regardless of all your anti-mask posts, what are your actual actions regarding masks?
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

I think itís obvious that we do both. We socially distance when possible (at home alone without a mask) and we we wear a mask when we have a necessary reason to go out (groceries, pharmacy).

Itís both/and, not either/or.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I think it’s obvious that we do both. We socially distance when possible (at home alone without a mask) and we we wear a mask when we have a necessary reason to go out (groceries, pharmacy).

It’s both/and, not either/or.
    The key phrase here is "necessary reason to go out". People are going out unnecessarily because they are bored and justifying it by saying, "But I'm wearing a mask." Even with groceries and pharmacy, many businesses are now delivering. In my area pharmacies are doing so at no additional charge, and there are pharmacy drive-thrus as well. If people had just stayed home for a few weeks in March and we kept the borders closed we'd be done with the virus already. If you get transmissibility below 1.0 it dies out.

Most people I know stayed home for almost 3 months. Europe is in bad shape because Europeans love to vacation and many did so in August.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    The key phrase here is "necessary reason to go out". People are going out unnecessarily because they are bored and justifying it by saying, "But I'm wearing a mask." Even with groceries and pharmacy, many businesses are now delivering. In my area pharmacies are doing so at no additional charge, and there are pharmacy drive-thrus as well. If people had just stayed home for a few weeks in March and we kept the borders closed we'd be done with the virus already. If you get transmissibility below 1.0 it dies out.
    Agreed. I had my pharmacy mail my meds this month.

I wear a mask because I believe in a layered approach to not dying. There are various things we can do to reduce risk. Masks are one of those things. Social distancing another. Not going to indoor spaces with other people a third. Some people want to be stupid. I choose not to be around them. Thankfully I live in a state that takes this seriously. My countyís infection rate has been relatively stable for quite a while now.

There's a serious problem in a number of areas with under 30 year olds not social isolating and having parties and the like. In Chicago/Cook County, something like 1/3 of new cases are in this age group.

I wonder if unexpected pregnancy is also the same problem in these groups? Even at my age, I remember the incredibly stupid things I did at that age (and wish I could forget them).

jpg, I am with you. We are being careful, staying away from strangers and most that we know. Masks are always worn. We were talking about cash transactions yesterday. Only need it at the tomato stand so I said give me $10 worth and did not need cash back. Cannot remember another time I used cash.

The 9/18 podcase (also on youtube) for This Week in Virology has a great discussion on the virus, masks, transmission, etc. They update weekly.

Thread Information