Page 210 of 228 FirstFirst ... 110160200208209210211212220 ... LastLast
Results 2,091 to 2,100 of 2271

Thread: Conavirus......

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    IF you could find a freezer. I've read they're still really in short supply.
    Used probably is the best bet, particularly if you can find one more than 10-15 years old. Those were not subject to the energy use regulations that exist today so they were quite overbuilt and just keep chugging along even though their taste for electricity is kind of high. Craigslist/Facebook Marketplace/maybe NextDoor (not on it so I'm not sure). Prices, though, are surprisingly high because it's very difficult to buy brand new freezers.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Has anyone decided yet what they’re going to do about the holidays?
    It'll be a Zoom Thanksgiving here, all the more likely now that DSoniL is gone and DMiL is in assisted living.

Christmas? No idea yet. DD and family are supposed to start "quaranteaming" for the baby's arrival (likely due mid-December if previous history is a guide). They may stick to it closely this time because, if they don't, no one (not even DSoniL) gets to stay with mom before or after the birth and the baby is taken to isolation, too, for two weeks.

The three (other) birthdays in December? Probably solo efforts, though we may combine mine and DD's (same week) if we're in their quaranteam for the baby and so we can take care of the other two kids. Maybe lots of packages left on doorsteps and sent with voluntary couriers...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I suppose I can visit people outside (Dec is a little California cold though, Nov not so much usually, though it varies). But really do the same things as usual? Nope, not really.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

My sister and her wife are coming to visit us for thanksgiving so they can see the new house. With the exception of this week (painters and movers inside our house with us not distancing or masking) we’ve been pretty careful, as has sister and SIL. We will risk having them in our house as if it was normal times.

Christmas we usually go to St. Louis to spend with SO’s family but are t planning to do that this year. SO went to visit his mom back in July with the extra expectation that we wouldn’t go in December.

We also usually host a party for friends at the fancy bar on the top floor of SO’s hotel. That obviously isnt going to happen this year either.

We'll do a low key Thanksgiving with the grandkids this year followed by our fairly new Christmas tradition of escaping to a beach. This year we'll again be in South Carolina for about 10 days.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

IF you could find a freezer. I've read they're still really in short supply.
    Wow... good to know.... thanks.

I think we'll do our new tradition of Thanksgiving at DS40's in VT. Then we may try to make it to NJ for Christmas, although last year we didn't get there until January 9. As far as COVID goes, we're all nuclear family, and we're not worried about masks, etc. among our small group.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Wow... good to know.... thanks.
    People on a frugal FB group I'm part of are always talking about freezers. When they come up for sale on FB Marketplace, they're apparently snatched up very quickly.

My parents finally got rid of their freezer from 1934 a few years ago. They got it secondhand and it just kept chugging, even after the bottom rusted out and they had to line it with cardboard.

Freezer shortage? Meanwhile, the Iris lily household with our ginormous family of 2 sit here with 2 freezers, a giant assed double refrigerator, and 3 normal sized refrigerators. And, I will get yet another large refrigerator on Oct..1 when I close on a condo.

I’m going to have to physically restrain DH from putting that monster into his truck and hauling it to Hermann so that it can sit down In the basement with all the other cooling appliances he collects.

At 7 refrigeration and freezer units, we still don’t have his parents beat. When I was engaged to marry DH we visited his parents and at the time they had around 10 refrigeration/freezer units. They were 2 parents in the household and 1 son.
    Little did I know at the time that was my future.

Thread Information