Page 212 of 230 FirstFirst ... 112162202210211212213214222 ... LastLast
Results 2,111 to 2,120 of 2294

Thread: Conavirus......

It always seemed risky to me to fill up freezers for this reason. Loss of power and your investment is gone.
    Never mind the energy use, especially if you are using 100 year old freezers, now maybe I'm wrong and ancient freezers are in fact very efficient, but I really doubt it, refrigeration technology has improved a lot I suspect.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I figure if the end of the world comes along, we're screwed anyway. I don't know how to strip tree bark with my teeth or hunt down snakes for dinner and there's not one piece of ammo in the house unless we somehow McGyver a slingshot.

There aren't many canned/dried options for those of us who don't eat foods higher in carbohydrates. Pasta/noodles/rice, beans, grains, canned fruits, meals based on those (like canned pasta with meat sauce), etc., won't feed us healthfully through a (more likely here) supply chain disruption. So we take the risk. If the problem is the freezer failing, my mom has one in her basement that she has been "close to emptying" for four or five years now (why we bought our own freezer). I suppose we could buy a generator or use one our neighbors may have. Worst case, our freezer will fit in my car; we can take it to our kids' house or a friend's house and keep it plugged in. If a power outage exceeds that range, we have bigger problems than a freezer full of thawing food.
    Low-carb people could consider one meal a day (OMAD) of a mixed diet during an ongoing crisis. You get many of the benefits--ketosis, autophagy, improved health markers--with the additional benefit of less money spent on groceries.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    It always seemed risky to me to fill up freezers for this reason. Loss of power and your investment is gone. Canned and dried foods are better for the end of the world.
    It takes enormous amounts of time to can stuff and especially to dry it. I think drying foods is a huge waste of my time and energy.

Please understand I have garden produce rolling into my house in the quantity of a small CSA.edited to mean: CSA producer! we are the producers, not the consumers.

Just yesterday I cooked a big batch of beets. They tasted like crap. I threw them out into the compost. And I plan to tell DH when he gets home from his weeklong trek that there’s no point in harvesting the rest of those beets because they are crappy. I’m not gonna cook them, preserve them, let alone eat them.

back to the freezer and refrigeration units we own: not all of them in Herman are plugged in. Well, the giant one is not plugged in. One in the kitchen gets normal use. One freezer in the basement is about halfway packed.

Here in my own house is a chest freezer and I’ve been working since last fall diligently to get rid of a 20 year accumulation of fruits and a few veg. We use up the veg but I do not use gallons and gallons of fruit because DH seems unable to just eat the fruit, he have to prepare it all with sugar and flour and who needs those calories?

On some level I wouldn’t mind if the damn freezer failed and we had to throw everything out.

The extra refrigerator in our city house is chock-full of apples harvested last fall and newly harvested onions. The apples are mostly rotten. He will bring a New truckload of them from the Iowa farm today. Because we need more apples to sit and rot.

Iris, OMG. I’m sorry that is just so funny. Why does he grow it if it won’t be eaten?

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Iris, OMG. I’m sorry that is just so funny. Why does he grow it if it won’t be eaten?
    That is the million dollar question. I have no answer and never will. It just is what it is.

He just got home from our Iowa farm. I will start a new thread soon about the oversized produce.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 9-22-20 at 3:30pm.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    It takes enormous amounts of time to can stuff and especially to dry it. I think drying foods is a huge waste of my time and energy.
    LOL - no surprise that we differ here. Yes, I agree that fresh is best, but I find that drying foods is so easy and takes way less time than I used to put into canning; it is my preferred method of food storage. I dehydrate pretty much anything and store in my canning jars. It takes up way less space than freezing and has a shelf life of several years when stored properly. Rehydrating is often literally as easy as making a cup of tea - boiling water into my tea cup and boiling water into the dried "whatever". It's definitely not for everyone, but I still find learning all the various aspect to be quite fun and fascinating.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Iris: My DH shares with your DH the idea that fruit is an ingredient, not actual food that can be consumed "as is."

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    LOL - no surprise that we differ here. Yes, I agree that fresh is best, but I find that drying foods is so easy and takes way less time than I used to put into canning; it is my preferred method of food storage. I dehydrate pretty much anything and store in my canning jars. It takes up way less space than freezing and has a shelf life of several years when stored properly. Rehydrating is often literally as easy as making a cup of tea - boiling water into my tea cup and boiling water into the dried "whatever". It's definitely not for everyone, but I still find learning all the various aspect to be quite fun and fascinating.
    This is only part of the produce dumped on my kitchen counter today. Just part. Missing are 12+ acorn squashes and at least 6 bags of apples (he wont tell me how many apples he picked from the family farm.)

how long would it take for you to dry all of this? We have a dehydrator, but haven’t used it in years. I think it’s dumb. It seems to run endlessly to dehydrate three little onions. I don’t see the point of that and I don’t like dehydrated onions anyway.

83681023-608D-4DEA-A168-0C8A9B7ABA6A.jpeg

I donít know how you do it. It would force me to move into a house next door and make him keep his own house for all the stuff in his life.

IL, your husband is much worse than mine. I would be hauling all that food to the homeless shelters. 4 years ago he canned a bunch of fruit and rarely eats it. It has been slowly by jumping into the garbage by itself)

Thread Information