Page 292 of 313 FirstFirst ... 192242282290291292293294302 ... LastLast
Results 2,911 to 2,920 of 3125

Thread: Conavirus......

The new variant, known in the USA as B.1.1.7, has been detected in CO, CA, FL, and NY. It is highly likely to be spreading in other states without having been detected. The severity of the infection and the mortality rate is not measurably worse than earlier COVID-19 infections, but this mutant appears to be more transmissible. According to an article in the NY Times, some virologists have estimated B.1.1.7 to be 20% more transmissible... or 50%... or 70%... One theory is more of the B.1.1.7 variant accumulates in the nose and is spread on tiny droplets as the carrier exhales.

The NYT article predicted that B.1.1.7 will become the dominant form of COVID-19 virus in the USA by March. I would expect more US hospitals will reach their limits of capacity and ration care.

This variant was first identified in UK. On Monday 1/4/2021 Prime Minister Boris Johnson placed the UK under the highest level lockdown. The government is once again instructing you to stay at home. People in the UK will be allowed to leave their homes for limited reasons such as shopping for essentials, exercise, medical assistance, or to escape domestic abuse.
    Places of worship will remain open on the basis that attendees adhere to social distancing.
    Schools will be closed to all except the children of key workers and vulnerable children.
    Outdoor sports venues will be closed.

The new variant has led to rising cases almost everywhere in the UK. Hospitalization increased 30% compared a one week earlier. UK Chief Medical Officers stated on 1/4/2021 We are not confident that the National Health Service can handle a further sustained rise in cases, and without further action there is a material risk of the NHS in several areas being overwhelmed over the next 21 days

B.1.1.7 was first known in the UK as VUI-2020 12/1 {Variant under Investigation} and later as VOC 2020/12/1 {Variant of Concern}.

Sending Healing Vibes across the Water,
    All Through the Night

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Hong Kong has been studying whether flying is a high risk activity. From the beginning they have been testing everyone who arrives, making them quarantine 14 days, and then testing them a second time so they have good data on who was infected before they got on the plane vs. who got infected while on the plane. Since some airlines, particularly Emirates airline, is ADAMANT about everyone wearing a mask the whole time they are on board, the Hong Kong authorities have been able to compare whether diligent mask wearing on a plane works to prevent spread. Short answer, yes. But only if everyone on the plane keeps their mask on for the duration. Longer answer, based on what I've read about mask wearing on US planes I won't be getting on one until after I've been vaccinated.
    Freedman looked at all Emirates flights from Dubai to Hong Kong between June 16 and July 5. What he found is quite telling. During those three weeks, Emirates had five flights with seven or more infected passengers on each flight, for a total of 58 coronavirus-positive passengers flying on eight-hour trips. And yet, nobody else on the planes — none of the other 1,500 to 2,000 passengers — picked up the virus, Freedman and his colleague report in the Journal of Travel Medicine.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...-plane-flights
    What about long flights I mean those 8+ Hour flights, where people are eating. Clearly they’re not wearing masks then.

I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t be a requirement from all airlines to wear the mask all the time During the flight.

And then when they’re milling about in the airline terminals, there’s no one airline in charge to tell them to put on a mask.

It all sounds sketchy to me, but so many people are flying! So many Of our friends and online acquaintances find reasons But it is OK to fly, and I’m talking about pleasure trips.

It’s good there was an actual study about airflight and Covid.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 1-5-21 at 7:36pm.

My anecdotal information about flying from people that I know who are still flying is that on US airlines enforcement of masks is hit or miss with people oftentimes following the mask requirements as if they were in a flying restaurant eating a long slow meal. And stories of passengers pulling the mask down off their nose and then pretending to be asleep, forcing the flight attendant to either Ďwakeí them or ignore the violation, etc.

I just checked Emirates web site and they are still serving food. I wonder if they are enforcing some sort of eating time limit.

I agree with you, iris, it seems sketchy and is simply not a risk Iím willing to take. One of our best friends who has probably been the most quarantiney of anyone I know recently started a new job for a company headquartered in AZ. They insisted that he go there for three days of in person planning meetings because apparently in AZ people are still doing that sort of thing. He was beyond livid.

New Zealand with no masks and no business closures but also no travel into the country is a great success.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    New Zealand with no masks and no business closures but also no travel into the country is a great success.
    And a real monthlong lockdown right at the start. Other countries like Australia had to shut things down and wear masks but people took it seriously and they mostly have it under control. Certainly far better than our whiny country.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    New Zealand had business closures in the spring, a very strict lockdown, precisely the measures yeppej opposed here with all the support for opening up long before the virus was crushed. And New Zealand again had restrictions in parts of the country in August due to a resurgence. It did not achieve what it did without them.

That it now doesn't have to be very strict. Well yes that's what you get AFTER you have crushed the virus, something that NEVER happened in the U.S.. That's the reward for lockdowns and other virus mitigation measures. We don't get that reward because we didn't do the measures adequately. Not everyone is individually to blame, it's mostly people suffer when they have bad leadership. Pity us. Closing U.S. borders only does so much good when the virus is running rampant.

Yes I am aware New Zealand isn't the U.S.. It's harder to close U.S. borders. And yea New Zealand is a small country under excellent social democratic leadership and it mitigated through lockdown early on.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Neighbors flew today and had a COVID test. If they did not have the results back before they left they had to quarantine for 10 days at the destination. WTH... so the people on the plane are subjected to the possibility of the testing positive. Makes no sense to me.

My son flew on a connecting flight to Nashville in November. When he booked the flight, there was a blacked out/unavailable seat in the middle, but when he got home he said that every flight was packed--all middle seats were filled in.

I don't understand how a plane with 200 passengers sitting elbow-to-elbow over the course of a couple of hours or more is not considered to be a COVID incubator.

DS quarantined for 14 days and had a test and was negative, but me, the enthusiastic business traveler & million-miler, would never fly these days.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

First of all, any negative covid test has a 20% chance of being a false negative.

Additionally, one could turn positive a day or two later if the test were repeated, as they could already have been infected at the time of the first test. Thatís called the incubation period.

The only way to trust a negative covid test is to quarantine for 1-2 weeks after the test, before acting as though one does not have the virus.

Itís like taking a pregnancy test the day after sex. The sperm might fertilize the egg that first day, but the test wonít show the pregnancy for another few weeks.

I wish people understood this.

To sum it up - Iím not flying for any reason. Itís like playing Russian roulette.

Thread Information