Page 175 of 601 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176177185225275 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,750 of 6008

Thread: Conavirus......

Yppej, math - 31% of children TESTED. They did not test 100% of children in Florida. So the known positive percentage is 31% multiplied by the percentage of children in Florida tested (which is number tested divided by total number of children times 100.)

I’m going to guess that given the unpleasantness of the test and the uncooperative nature of children, most people don’t get their kids tested unless they are pretty sure they are sick.

We don’t know if herd immunity exists with this virus. People may have gotten it twice. The antibodies go away quickly.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    31% percent of children in Florida tested for covid had positive results. Herd immunity is reached at 70%. So the state is almost halfway there among the younger population, probably because kids aren't as good at hygiene as adults.
    actually there are about four million kids 18 and under in Florida
    about 55,000 have been tested

I would not assume such a small sample to be indicative anything close to herd immunity as well children are unlikely to be tested in Florida. It is not easy to get a “beautiful” test here, despite claims anyone can get one. I am in a covid study as well as Continuing with my routine blood donation. They are looking for antibodies which might be helpful to treat very ill people. But they are finding antibodies rapidly decrease and other countries have reported reinfections.

Also, 70-90% of the population being immune is needed for herd immunity depending on how infectious the disease is. Since this is very contagious we need a much higher rate of community immunity if it even would exist, another unknown.

Yppej
    Fair points flowerseverywhere. I looked at articles by Johns Hopkins and the Mayo Clinic. One said 70% and one said 70 to 90%. I do think if no actions were taken at all to try to stop it the disease would burn itself out more quickly than it currently is, with us many months into the pandemic now.

The apparently quick decline of anti bodies in people who have been infected does not bode well for an effective vaccine either.

Yppej
    Rogar I saw on the news that what we need is a T-cell or cell-mediated immune vaccine which lasts longer.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-cell_vaccine

A friend occasionally recommends the "This Week in Virology" podcast. One of the most recent featured an interview with Fauci. Often the podcast is over my head, but this one is very understandable. He discusses things like herd immunity, vaccine progress, what we know about modes of transmission, etc. Highly recommended. https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/twiv-641/

Tammy, I hope you're feeling a little better!
    I am going to declare a separate peace, a la John Knowles, and stop talking about Covid or going on threads that deal with Covid.
    Just last post to wish Tammy a good recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Tammy, I hope you're feeling a little better!
    I am going to declare a separate peace, a la John Knowles, and stop talking about Covid or going on threads that deal with Covid.
    Just last post to wish Tammy a good recovery.
    Have been attempting to do the same around here. Getting tire of saying "Wear a mask for yourself and others!". Those who are doing it, don't need to hear it from me any more, and those who won't... oh, well.

Tammy, again, I hope you are having a quick and easy recovery!!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Washington State "as a whole is in an explosive situation. Transmission
    continues to increase or accelerate across most of Washington state and will continue to do so unless concrete steps are taken to stop the spread."

https://covid.idmod.org/data/WA_Situ...gton_State.pdf
    I would have expected better from Washington, though I know the state has struggled to get the necessary test equipment.

Thread Information