Page 1 of 581 1231151101501 ... LastLast

Thread: Conavirus......

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Conavirus......

How concerned are you about this virus? We've just had a case found here in Maricopa County (urban Phoenix area) from an ASU student just returned from Wuhan. What really scares me here is international travel is continuing AND the Chinese government has admitted that this virus can spread from person to person BEFORE an individual becomes symptomatic.

Maybe it's because one of my two favorite American works of fiction is Stephen King's The Stand - a horror novel I always found somewhat believable regarding a Superflu killing off most human beings on the planet. This virus has me spooked something fierce and I'm not alone in this. SO and family are spooked regarding the potential of this virus arriving in Mexico City which has numerous shantytowns on the outskirts.....tightly packed living conditions and less than first world sanitation standards.....whatever could go wrong there, you know?

I will be stocking up on over the counter immunity boosting herbs - it's what little I can do. Are you'all concerned? Thinking the media has overdone this? Or? Rob

I think we are always facing this possibility of this kind of epidemic, so I like your plan to keep yourself in the best health possible, use supplements, and use common sense.

This is not anything new. Watch this american Experience about the 1918 influenza outbreak:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexp...lms/influenza/

Very interesting, and talks about why we seem to forget this event.

The news media loves scare tactics stories. They love scaring you. Notice how you are taking up their bait “ being spooked something fierce.” Your SO and his family, also ” spooked.”

None of us can predict the future so we can only speak in generalities which are: some people will die from this infection, Probably not many, probably not people we know, we all need to work to maintain our immune system, this too shall pass.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    The news media loves scare tactics stories. They love scaring you. Notice how you are taking up their bait “ being spooked something fierce.” Your SO and his family, also ” spooked.”

None of us can predict the future so we can only speak in generalities which are: some people will die from this infection, Probably not many, probably not people we know, we all need to work to maintain our immune system, this too shall pass.
    I'vr remembered your post here these past four years. What a trip things became not longer after you posted these words! I'm just glad this time has passed and hope that in my lifetime there is not another pandemic. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I'vr remembered your post here these past four years. What a trip things became not longer after you posted these words! I'm just glad this time has passed and hope that in my lifetime there is not another pandemic. Rob
    I still think the media scare tactics were over the top.

it was very serious and still has some serious merits in the population. People died. Maintain your immune system as best you can and old people need to really be careful.
    I am not a serious person.

Every time a new viral disease appears there is some risk that it will be highly communicable, high mortality, and/or difficult to control. So far we've been able to control or confine the new ones. This is not feeling like the big one, but it's probably too early to tell and you never know. I lost several ancestral relatives in the 1918 flu pandemic.

The coronavirus is the latest in a long string of bugs capable of doing serious harm to populations. The biggest threat is how mobile our society is these days with a good probability that someone infected on the other side of the world can bring it with them to a different continent in the course of a single day. Back in a simpler time we (the US) dealt with that sort of thing by setting up inspection stations such as Ellis Island where anyone visiting this country could be checked for disease before being granted entry. We don't do that anymore and heaven forbid any obviously racist, nationalistic, bitter clinging republican suggest it. That's the biggest threat we face with something like this.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Back in a simpler time we (the US) dealt with that sort of thing by setting up inspection stations such as Ellis Island where anyone visiting this country could be checked for disease before being granted entry. We don't do that anymore and heaven forbid any obviously racist, nationalistic, bitter clinging republican suggest it. That's the biggest threat we face with something like this.
    It's also worth mentioning Trump's budget cuts to the National Institute of Health and the CDC as a move to eliminate "government waste". Without making a study of things, they seemed large.

The coronavirus is the latest in a long string of bugs capable of doing serious harm to populations. The biggest threat is how mobile our society is these days with a good probability that someone infected on the other side of the world can bring it with them to a different continent in the course of a single day. Back in a simpler time we (the US) dealt with that sort of thing by setting up inspection stations such as Ellis Island where anyone visiting this country could be checked for disease before being granted entry. We don't do that anymore and heaven forbid any obviously racist, nationalistic, bitter clinging republican suggest it. That's the biggest threat we face with something like this.
    You’re such a bitter clinger.

... Back in a simpler time we (the US) dealt with that sort of thing by setting up inspection stations such as Ellis Island where anyone visiting this country could be checked for disease before being granted entry. We don't do that anymore...
    I understand that at 20 US airports, which handle 90% of deplaning passengers from China, there is medical screening (Does each passenger have a fever? do they appear to be sniffling or coughing?) Passengers also fill out a questionnaire before the plane lands.

Passengers who are suspected of being sick may be assigned to one of 20 regional quarantine stations... and I think they can be held a couple of weeks.

Thread Information