Page 124 of 601 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134174224 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,240 of 6008

Thread: Conavirus......

I don’t ever expect to live with my kids. It ruins lives. Either you tough it out yourself, hire help or go to a facility. My MIL couldn’t be alone all the time after having a major surgery so she lived with us for 2 weeks. We still went to work and she took care of herself. After 2 weeks her strength was back and she went home. Then 2 years later it happened again but she needed help with everything and couldn’t be alone. I told my husband to either take leave from work and do it or she would have to go to a rehab facility. Unfortunately they managed to kill her at 67.

I think in some other time families had to care for elders as there were very few other options. Also, elders weren't held in what seems like perpetuity with drugs as they are now. When it was time to go, they died. My grandmother lived with us a short while until she broke her hip and went to the "home." My MIL is...pardon the expression...rotting in a Brookdale home. She has been on lockdown now for two months so is stuck in a bleak room with drugs delivered twice a day. Her daughter had been caring for her but could no longer take the stress of caring for her along with a full time job. If it was quick and not painful, it would be a blessing for her to die of the virus.

Here's yet another article on the value of mask wearing:

https://www.wcvb.com/article/study-s...-wave/32843976

Yppej
    The modeling is based on 100% face mask usage. That is not going to happen in a free society. I see lower and lower compliance at work among both employees and customers. I think it is a combination of hot weather and mask fatigue. Even those who mandate masks allow for medical exceptions, so you will never get to 100%, and any model that depends on 100% to prove its point just disproved it.

I've read similar articles noting decreased incidence with 80% of us wearing masks, but I've completely lost faith in the citizens of this country and their ability to do the right thing, so let the infections begin, I guess.

Yppej
    I decided to recheck statistics today on Sweden, a country that, other than banning large gatherings, let people decide for themselves if and how they wanted to respond to the virus. It has the 7th most deaths per 100,000 population after San Marino, Belgium, Andorra, the UK, Spain and Italy. Their strategy has been to get this over with in one wave, rather than multiple waves. Their deaths and ICU hospitalizations are trending downwards. So far they are doing better than some more restrictive countries. It will be interesting to see how by the end of the pandemic this all works out, when deaths from all waves are totalled up.

Data source is Johns Hopkins University

Of course the U.S. has MORE cases per capita than Sweden so if cases were to be believed we HAVE MORE immunity than Sweden (they may be testing less in Sweden than here, that's the hard part). Still estimates are like 3% or people maybe have had it here.

Not yet more deaths per capita than Sweden in the U.S., maybe give it time. Of course every country is counting deaths somewhat differently as well.

It's possible most just socially distanced voluntarily in Sweden, at any rate their economy seems to have taken a hit as big as surrounding countries that did a lockdown did, whether from voluntary social distancing or just the economic hit of the virus itself.

source: the coronavirus graph on weather.com whose source it the World Health Organization.
    Trees don't grow on money

The trend in this country, especially in the South, is to not test and/or hide statistics pertaining to incidence of or death due to COVID19. IIRC, the FEMA website lists one case and no deaths at the Kirkland nursing home that had something like 35 fatalities early in the pandemic.

During the interview, Anders Tegnell said, "If we were to run into the same disease, knowing exactly what we know about it today, I think we would end up doing something in between what Sweden did and what the rest of the world has done," according to a Reuters translation. (Newsweek)
    Sweden's death rate is very close to ten percent, but they do have a functioning health care system that doesn't gouge its citizens. Small comfort to the families of those who died.

We also have no idea if people get a herd immunity with this virus.

Sweden - the guy in charge of their response plan says he did it wrong:

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/...03-p54z99.html

Thread Information