Page 116 of 601 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126166216 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 6008

Thread: Conavirus......

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Beware the false positive rates on many of the antibody tests currently in use.
    Not to mention that it is unknown if antibody load will prevent re-infection. Assume nothing people.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Beware the false positive rates on many of the antibody tests currently in use.
    So what *is* the rate of false positives?

I’m sure my friend will research that. She’s currently excited about current Research using RNA controls with coronaviruses. She is a layman but has much interest in health matters, especially those of animal husbandry. Let’s just say I hear about Cornell as often from her as we hear about Princeton from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Not to mention that it is unknown if antibody load will prevent re-infection. Assume nothing people.
    The coronaviruses mutate all the time, don’t they? Permanent immunity doesn’t seem realistic, at least I don’t think it is for SARS and we certainly don’t have a vaccine for SARS and how long has that thing been around?

My friend is probably good for the year, at least for this COVID19 season.Maybe not in the fall.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    The latest evidence is that while some people do contract the virus a second time they do not get sick and they do not transmit it to others. I am still trying to get a free antibody test from a research hospital and have gotten as far as filling out their survey. I don't know if or when I will hear from them next but I trust their test will be legit.

Here is more info than probably needed about antibody tests and issues with them. I hope Scientific American is "good" enough. https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...annot-tell-us/

Yppej
    Sweetana the article is dated May 5th and new information has come out since then, especially on tests on monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Here is more info than probably needed about antibody tests and issues with them. I hope Scientific American is "good" enough. https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...annot-tell-us/
    I read that, or skimmed it should
    I say, before you posted.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post

If this had the symptoms, infection rate, or mortality of the flu, playing around with herd immunity might be worthwhile, but all indications are that it's much more virulent than the flu. Russian roulette is a good metaphor.
    I saw on the news today that 80% of people with covid are asymptomatic. That doesn't strike me as especially virulent. By comparison, 27.1% of Ebola patients are asymptomatic. Or compare this with HIV which if untreated has a mortality rate of over 90%.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I saw on the news today that 80% of people with covid are asymptomatic. That doesn't strike me as especially virulent. By comparison, 27.1% of Ebola patients are asymptomatic. Or compare this with HIV which if untreated has a mortality rate of over 90%.
    100,000 dead in 3-4 months in this country is virulent enough for me. And both Ebola and HIV/AIDS are much harder to contract than airborne COVID. At any rate, there is much we don't know--like what is the trigger for some people's circulatory systems to turn to blackberry jam while others shake the virus off without much trouble.

Also of concern is the serious syndrome that kids are getting from the virus.

Thread Information