Page 429 of 435 FirstFirst ... 329379419427428429430431 ... LastLast
Results 4,281 to 4,290 of 4349

Thread: Conavirus......

  1. #4281
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    375
    Medical coverage has no business being tied to employment.

  2. #4282
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    5,674
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane v2.0 View Post
    Medical coverage has no business being tied to employment.
    +1

  3. #4283
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    9,734
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane v2.0 View Post
    Medical coverage has no business being tied to employment.
    That has always seemed daft to me.

  4. #4284
    Senior Member Tradd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Suburban Midwest
    Posts
    5,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane v2.0 View Post
    Medical coverage has no business being tied to employment.
    At least in the US, it started as a benefit employers offered during World War II when wages were capped by the government.

  5. #4285
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    9,734
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    At least in the US, it started as a benefit employers offered during World War II when wages were capped by the government.
    Ooooooh! Fascinating! That would explain a bit.

  6. #4286
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    7,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    At least in the US, it started as a benefit employers offered during World War II when wages were capped by the government.
    Proof that things like arbitrary wage caps are a really bad idea. The unintended consequences live on for a long time. Unregulated capitalism certainly has flaws (health care is a really bad fit because people will pay whatever they are asked, and can pay, to try and keep a loved one alive for example, ) but trying to force it to oneís will by means other than changing incentives is not typically successful.

  7. #4287
    Senior Member Yppej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,726
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    trying to force it to one’s will by means other than changing incentives is not typically successful.
    Ditto trying to force people to do things they don't want. There are covid spikes after every holiday because people crave human contact and you can tell them no but most everyone from Deborah Birx to Gavin Newsom will socialize with people outside their household anyways. I was one of the rare exceptions.

    We'll see how forcing people to get vaccinated or lose their jobs goes.

  8. #4288
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    7,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post

    We'll see how forcing people to get vaccinated or lose their jobs goes.
    Weíll end up with a society with two types of people, those who lost their jobs and got sick, and those who didnít?

  9. #4289
    Senior Member Yppej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,726
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    We’ll end up with a society with two types of people, those who lost their jobs and got sick, and those who didn’t?
    1. Those who lost their jobs and don't want to work. Will they be able to file for unemployment?
    2. Those who lost their jobs and do want to work. There are lots of jobs out there.
    3. Those who didn't lose their jobs because they conformed.

    According to you we all have to keep wearing masks because vaccines don't work, so you can't tie the illness to those who lost their jobs. People in all three categories might or might not get sick in your theory. I happen to believe in vaccines.

  10. #4290
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    7,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    1. Those who lost their jobs and don't want to work. Will they be able to file for unemployment?
    2. Those who lost their jobs and do want to work. There are lots of jobs out there.
    3. Those who didn't lose their jobs because they conformed.

    According to you we all have to keep wearing masks because vaccines don't work, so you can't tie the illness to those who lost their jobs. People in all three categories might or might not get sick in your theory. I happen to believe in vaccines.
    Vaccines do work. They donít work perfectly. You really should become a Republican. Your inability to see all the shades of gray on the Pantone color wheel is remarkable. And kind of sad.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •