Page 2 of 601 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast

Thread: Conavirus......

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I am somewhat concerned and glad that my kids are on their way home from Thailand. People over 60 are dying the most. My other son is in Vietnam and it’s a huge crowded city and I am concerned about when it gets there.
    A problem these days is that the world is so interconnected.

You'd think my local community would be safe, being on an island 20 miles offshore. But, we are a major worldwide tourist destination, and we are right in between Vancouver, Victoria, and Seattle. Which are tourist destinations themselves.

Some days back, this little tidbit came out from our medical director:

"Team,

Many of you have probably seen the news about the new virus from Wuhan, China, that has now made it's way to Everett as well as other countries throughout Asia. The largest annual migration in human history begins Friday (Chinese New Year) and last for one week. Given the large number of travelers and the very large population of Chinese immigrants in the lower mainland of BC it would not be surprising to see cases there over the next few weeks. There is no screening at the airports in either Seattle or Vancouver. Lunar New Year is similar to our Christmas holiday with many Chinese (and other Asian countries) traveling to share the holiday with friends and family."

Oh well, I guess we need something to control the population.

Also interesting is the amount of racism and jingoism this event has shaken out of the attic....

When any country has a virus outbreak that’s dangerous it would be prudent to close down the airports so people can’t fly until it’s under control. Of course that won’t happen because of the economic impact and violating civil rights. I would rather be inconvenienced but still alive. My mom said when she was young if you were contagious you hung a sign on your door so people were warned and you stayed home until well.

I was reading old newspapers from this area from 1918, and they quarantined our town from other towns that were only 20 miles away, and going into our town from the other town would get people arrested.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I was reading old newspapers from this area from 1918, and they quarantined our town from other towns that were only 20 miles away, and going into our town from the other town would get people arrested.
    https://paw.princeton.edu/article/wh...ton-was-spared

When any country has a virus outbreak that’s dangerous it would be prudent to close down the airports so people can’t fly until it’s under control. Of course that won’t happen because of the economic impact and violating civil rights.
    My understanding is that the Chinese government moved incredibly swiftly to contain this, using measures that would never happen here in the USA.

However, often by the time such a clampdown happens, the infection has escaped the containment area. And with things like this, which look like they may be contagious before symptoms present, given the interconnectedness of modern society, the infection may have gotten around the planet before anyone knows there's a real problem developing.

I am somewhat concerned and glad that my kids are on their way home from Thailand. People over 60 are dying the most. My other son is in Vietnam and it’s a huge crowded city and I am concerned about when it gets there.
    I hope your children remain safe.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

My sister-in-law and her husband are in China now and are coming home next week. They, along with DH and their siblings, will all gather in the hellishly hot family farm house in Iowa for a family meeting.

Last year at this time at the same hellishly hot stuffy farm house, gathering place for 35 people including snotty nosed toddlers who spread their demon germs everywhere, DH and I caught the bug from hell that had me sick for 12 months. I will not make the Iowa trip this time. I should quarantine DH.

Actually, thought bubble: I CAN do that! He can come back to Missouri through Hermann and can stay in Hermann through the Incubation period. I am serious I think I’m going to ask him to do that, assuming they do have this family meeting. I wouldn’t be surprised if they call it off due to the China travelers.

They should call off the meeting IL.

Thread Information