Page 63 of 601 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163563 ... LastLast

Thread: Conavirus......

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    To go shopping and shoot guns.
    What? Shooting guns? Is this a place that has a lot of shooting ranges?

And oh yeah I suppose there are palaces of consumption, shopping malls in Hawaii, but that seems like a stupid thing to do when you’re in a tropical paradise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I have to admit that my life is going on much the same. I'm something of a homebody. Still going into the office. Small office and few visitors. My church and gym are closed, so I'm just back and forth to home. I'll start diving the beginning of April if the quarry 90 minutes away opens. There are few divers there until sometime in May. The water is too cold for them otherwise.

For introverts like me, and probably you, this isn’t asking for such a drastic lifestyle change as it is for extroverts. Even I expect to feel the effects though. After all I’m not a total hermit. The nine months I’ve been working from home I’ve really come to look forward to our Friday nights when we usually meet friends for happy hour and dinner, the one time each week that I go out and be social.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    What? Shooting guns? Is this a place that has a lot of shooting ranges?

And oh yeah I suppose there are pallets of consumption Nana shopping malls in Hawaii, but he seems like a stupid thing to do when you’re in a tropical paradise.
    The first time I was in Honolulu I was baffled by all the guys with sandwich boards advertising gun ranges. Then I came across a guy in one giving his spiel in Japanese and he was surrounded by eager Japanese tourists and suddenly it made sense. They can’t do it at home.

As far as the shopping supposedly it’s a lot cheaper. I have no idea if that’s really the case.

When my company in Silicon Valley had some Japanese business partners, I was in charge of showing them around the area, due to my limited knowledge of Japanese and unlimited interest in fun.

Every single one of the visitors wanted to go to the shooting ranges and learn to shoot real firearms. Which I was happy to help with.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    There are plenty of mall shootings, just not in Hawaii (yet).
    True. And if/when it happens I doubt the demographic of the shooter will be Japanese tourist.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    When my company in Silicon Valley had some Japanese business partners, I was in charge of showing them around the area, due to my limited knowledge of Japanese and unlimited interest in fun.

Every single one of the visitors wanted to go to the shooting ranges and learn to shoot real firearms. Which I was happy to help with.
    I can understand. An insurance broker friend of mine, typical California progressive type who had never had occasion to shoot guns used to have a job that involved supporting a team of people in Cleveland. She came back from a trip there all excited to show off the video where they taught her how to shoot one. She had had a great time.

Before recent events my boss was planning a team offsite in Vegas in July. I’d convinced him that the ‘fun’ activity should be going to a gun range. Hopefully that won’t have to be put off for forever.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I think it is more properly "Let it Spread, kill off all the old people so the NHS budget will look better moving forward".
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    This hints at the many opportunities for black humor in this environment, but I honestly think the SL forums have too many people easily upset by anything resembling humor ( or a small number who are disproportionally vocal) about our National situation that I am restraining myself here, somewhat.

Mustn’t fuss people unnecessarily. Also the people who are literal thinkers, black and white thinkers seem to have trouble with irony.
    Here then,

Yppej
    Does anyone personally know someone who has tested positive? Or died of corona? I don't.

153 deaths in the US among 327 million people is a drop in the bucket. I think people will still do things like go to crowded beaches for spring break until their social circle is impacted.

My neighbor years ago lived through the 1918 influenza epidemic and used to tell me about it. Everyone was affected. The girl he later married lost both her parents and for the rest of his life after he met her he donated to charities for orphans.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Does anyone personally know someone who has tested positive? Or died of corona? I don't.

153 deaths in the US among 327 million people is a drop in the bucket. I think people will still do things like go to crowded beaches for spring break until their social circle is impacted.

My neighbor years ago lived through the 1918 influenza epidemic and used to tell me about it. Everyone was affected. The girl he later married lost both her parents and for the rest of his life after he met her he donated to charities for orphans.
    Yes, my boss just had it. (I work remotely.) She got it at the Colorado caucus. She said she was sick for a few days and in quarantine and is now fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    For introverts like me, and probably you, this isn’t asking for such a drastic lifestyle change as it is for extroverts. Even I expect to feel the effects though. After all I’m not a total hermit. The nine months I’ve been working from home I’ve really come to look forward to our Friday nights when we usually meet friends for happy hour and dinner, the one time each week that I go out and be social.
    If my diving is affected, then all bets are off. I’ve got my big diving class that I’ve been working hard for this year.

Thread Information