Page 131 of 601 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141181231 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,310 of 6008

Thread: Conavirus......

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    There is a lot of paranoia and exaggeration by people with a vested interest in fearmongering, as with Y2K.
    Ah yes. The CoronaConspiracy. Plandemic. It's so obvious!

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    People worked their *bleeps*off rewriting code for years before Y2K, and certifying critical systems would function properly. As a result, there was no disaster.
    Y2K was how I spent most of my 1999 at work (and a good chunk of my 1998). Assessing exposures, investigating options, defining specs, getting six- and seven-figure updates approved, implementing them, testing them, and executing a test suite at the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve 1999 because if my systems didn't work because of Y2K, no one else would be notified about theirs.

Were there lives at stake? Not for the Fortune 100 manufacturing company at which I worked. But my experience was duplicated at hospitals and medical-equipment manufacturers and emergency dispatch sites, where lives were at stake. Y2K was injurious to the company's bottom line and inconvenient for the company's operation and 1/1/2000 was going to happen anyway. So I suppose we shouldn't have done anything and just found out where the chips fell.

Ridiculous.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yppej
    Programmers were definitely one group that benefited from Y2K fears. A friend of mine in that profession then told me she demanded to work from home 3 days a week and could get that and whatever else she wanted because of Y2K.

Programmers were definitely one group that benefited from Y2K fears.
    "Fears". You keep using that word, but I don't think it means what you think it means.

I was in charge of Y2K compliance for one of America's most successful technology companies. Both for our own processes and infrastructure, as we didn't want to suffer business losses because of it, and for the products that we produced. Our products were used in situations where they simply couldn't ever fail, even from hardware failure events. It was essential that we could guarantee our products would not suffer from the Y2K issues, and could prove it ahead of time to our fault-intolerant customers.

As a result, I directed a sizeable engineering effort to make that happen. We didn't "benefit" from that activity, except that in doing so we were able to retain our customers. We deployed Really Smart, Highly Paid senior engineers to deal with our software, firmware, and hardware Y2K issues, and we would have produced More Profit if we'd been able to use those scarce, expensive resources for new product development instead.

Yet we, who were probably the most informed people on the planet about the issues, decided it made good sense to spend this effort, weighing the risks and costs based on data, not fear.

How much code or hardware design did *you* inspect during Y2K? How is it you are such an expert that you can classify the conclusions of real engineers and scientists as "fear"?

Waiting for deflection in....3....2.....1

And as Steve pointed out, the y2k programmers did a good job. They deserve everything they got.

This graph of the first five months of the year shows in a neat way how serious covid is.

https://public.flourish.studio/visua...ww5uBlrJjzqGIg

So what if they got a benefit, I've got benefits in my work life just for asking as well. They can say no, you can ask, if you don't even ask, well that's totally your own fault at that point.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    This graph of the first five months of the year shows in a neat way how serious covid is.

https://public.flourish.studio/visua...ww5uBlrJjzqGIg
    Oh silly JP1, Y doesn't believe in science or fact. Not sure why you bother her with it.

Programmers were definitely one group that benefited from Y2K fears. A friend of mine in that profession then told me she demanded to work from home 3 days a week and could get that and whatever else she wanted because of Y2K.
    Oh my, my husband's work was Y2K fallout prevention and it's all he did for 18 months. I have no idea what benefits you speak of. I mean, he was employed 40h/week and got to pay for a hotel room and meals 2 blocks from the office as he was on a 5 minute call-in for 48 hours if there were issues. And no, there was no reimbursement for those expenses.

But hey, you know much more than he, so by all means, your expertise must be recognized

I don't know what planet you live on......................

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Oh silly JP1, Y doesn't believe in science or fact. Not sure why you bother her with it.
    She's blocked me so it's only everyone else that will benefit from that timeline.

Thread Information