Page 155 of 601 FirstFirst ... 55105145153154155156157165205255 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,550 of 6008

Thread: Conavirus......

What are we talking respirators anyway, N95 masks, or those plastic respirator things? Like this: https://www.grainger.com/product/3M-...spirator-5T569

I'm not sure many of the latter were ever designed for medical usage, some are, but I suspect many were designed for labor of the sort that generates lots of dust etc.. So their effectiveness, who knows. Some say much of covid is droplet transmission (the whole droplet v aerosols thing) so then ANY of it AND faceshields as well would probably work for droplets.

It's just with a respirator you are going to look like: I'm ready for World War I, bring on the mustard gas! It's a scary look … But if that what it takes to get people to cover their face … who knew.
    Trees don't grow on money

I think I posted somewhere around here the measured respiratory effort for different sorts of masks/respirators.

Science and data often disagree with "my son said...".

Here's some N95 data:

https://academic.oup.com/annweh/article/55/8/917/265317

Since we wear these respirators while doing heavy labor, we do a fair bit of training in how to manage our breathing and work output safely, and we have telemetry of some of our vitals for real-time feedback and correction.

Mask effectiveness, by type of material, off-the-presses Tuesday:

https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/5.0016018

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Mask effectiveness, by type of material, off-the-presses Tuesday:

https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/5.0016018
    Interesting and useful information. Thanks.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

That meshes well with my "mask test" post. And I'm glad to see all those busy mask makers out there are doing some good.

Yppej
    I was thinking about Wuhan. Fireworks were invented in China, but people there did not respond to a lockdown by setting off fireworks. They stayed home until they were told they could leave home and then obediently wore masks. Americans are a different breed.

I am happy to live in the USA with what some see as the wretched refuse "yearning to breathe free".

We bought more masks so don’t have to wash so much. The countries that are most compliant will have less deaths, disabilities and will get their lives back sooner. Unfortunately because of stupid people our country won’t be in that category.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I was thinking about Wuhan. Fireworks were invented in China, but people there did not respond to a lockdown by setting off fireworks. They stayed home until they were told they could leave home and then obediently wore masks. Americans are a different breed.

I am happy to live in the USA with what some see as the wretched refuse "yearning to be free to die and kill others with covid".
    Fixed it for you.

I thought this article in the Washington Post was enlightening. It interviews Fauci and four other leading disease experts with questions about how they handle day-to-day situations like handling mail and groceries, dining out, doctor visits, meeting with friends and family, gyms, and exercise. I subscribe, but I think they are offering free access to Covid-19 articles. There are some obvious unknowns and there was not total agreement on everything, but all are very cautious.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...c93_story.html

I bicycle about two hours most days on a local recreational trail. I go in the early hours when it is not busy, but will still encounter a few dozen walkers and cyclists. Very few wear a mask and as the trail is only about ten feet wide social distancing is unlikely for very short time periods where one passes another. I wear a neck gator, doubled up and pulled up over my face. It's thin enough to not restrict too much air flow and is not especially hot. I worry about the risk and wish more would wear a mask, but the risk seems low and one I'm willing to take (so far) to be outside and get some exercise. Other wise I think I am mostly inline with the experts.

Yppej
    Interesting article Rogar. What struck me was the elitism. Many respondents had a cleaning person. Some quotes:

"I would die if I didn't do takeout."
    "I have a pool at home."
    "I had a gym built into my house."

Quite a difference from the way many front line workers, a significant number of whom earn minimum wage, live.

Thread Information