Page 298 of 601 FirstFirst ... 198248288296297298299300308348398 ... LastLast
Results 2,971 to 2,980 of 6008

Thread: Conavirus......

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    30,000 died in London during the entirety of the German bombing campaign. We've had about that many deaths in the USA from COVID so far in the first 11 days of January this year.

So, troll the heck off.
    Indeed. At this point it looks like we're on track to lose more people in the US to covid than the military lost during all of WWII.

Yppej
    Covid deaths per 100,000 on January 11th in the US = 55 Source: New York Times

Deaths per 100,000 from other disasters - scroll down to see the chart:

https://ourworldindata.org/genocides

Scroll further down and you will see the impact on life expectancy of a couple of events. Cambodia fell below 20 and Rwanda below 30 years of age. Neither disaster dominated the news the way covid does.

Here is an article on reduction of US life expectancy due to covid:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....12.20148387v3

What a difference!

Yppej
    I saw a reporter out with the lottery story since jackpots are high. He asked a woman what she would do if she won and she said buy her own tropical island where she could go and not have to wear a mask

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I saw a reporter out with the lottery story since jackpots are high. He asked a woman what she would do if she won and she said buy her own tropical island where she could go and not have to wear a mask
    Seems like just staying home would be a lot cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Seems like just staying home would be a lot cheaper.
    Simple frugal living for the win!

Actually, the NYT reports to say that doubling down on mask wearing may have benefits.

In terms of the efficacy of our general run-of-the-mill mask-wearing practices, here's what one paragraph says:

The arguments for masking span several fields of science, including epidemiology and physics. A bevy of observational studies have suggested that widespread mask-wearing can curb infections and deaths on an impressive scale, in settings as small as hair salons and at the level of entire countries. One study, which tracked state policies mandating face coverings in public, found that known Covid cases waxed and waned in near-lockstep with mask-wearing rules. Another, which followed coronavirus infections among health care workers in Boston, noted a drastic drop in the number of positive test results after masks became a universal fixture among staff. And a study in Beijing found that face masks were 79 percent effective at blocking transmission from infected people to their close contacts.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

An article in the local news said that cases of the common cold and seasonal flu were down significantly due to the extra measures for Covid. I suppose that's almost a given.

Our public health department in the middle of a coronavirus surge (although the surge *may* be improving a little) is now is telling us it's Very Very Important to wear masks when talking a walk. You tell me how much sense that makes? (IMO very little given what we know about outdoor transmission). But they are public health right, so this is now one of their emphasis - wear a mask when talking a walk or people will keep dying from this thing!

Their other piece of advice for people from the public health department is to wear masks inside their homes if they leave their homes and live with other vulnerable people. From a disease spread perspective this actually *might* make some sense (but enough hours spent in close contact may negate some of the mask benefits). But from a practical perspective noone is going to do it almost. Besides that noone can do it when they sleep. Ok then just keep bedroom doors closed, yea sure if you have multiple rooms, but that isn't going to solve the 20 people living in a 1 bedroom type situation with people are sleeping in the living room couch and floor, people sleeping on the kitchen floor etc..
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    In many parts of the world the economic side effects are much more dire than the health impact.
    I don't think I will ever agree that the loss of money is more dire than the loss of a life.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Misinformation and lies about the coronavirus have been and continue to be spread by a vast number of internet sites.

An up-to-date list of such sites in the US and abroad is maintained by by the Coronavirus Misinformation Tracking Center. (link below)

I dug into only a couple of sites that caught my eye... and I would say it was "eye-opening" to see the range and amount of resources devoted to spreading misinformation about the virus on the internet.

http://www.newsguardtech.com/coronav...racking-center

Thread Information