Page 19 of 601 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119519 ... LastLast

Thread: Conavirus......

Robb, I bet it’s your phone because I can edit from mine. It’s a iPhone 7.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Just curious, IL. How do they access food? They did stock up beforehand, is the government passing out basic supplies and food, or do they get what they can the couple of times a week they are allowed out into the world? Or a little of each of these? I wonder how food access works in this scenario and how food access might change based on the type of government one finds themselves living under during this outbreak (is that even the right word at this point? I'm not the most medically savvy person - I'm not sure what word applies to the coronavirus now). Rob

PS Best wishes to your nephew and his girlfriend to make it to the other side of this healthy.
    They buy groceries when they are allowed out.

My son is teaching English in Vietnam but they have closed all the schools.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    a very U.S. centric view.
    Not that we shouldn't care about anywhere else, but the U.S. is where I live, it's where I will get medical care (if needed), and I cannot control what other countries choose to do about this epidemic. It's hard to avoid a 24-hour news cycle that sensationalizes based on conjecture and little usable information, heads of state that pay no heed to science in addressing the crisis (at any level) and consider the outbreak a personal affront to their paranoia, and countries with a long-practiced disinterest in accurately reporting negative domestic news.

This virus may well be the 21st Century equivalent of the 19th Century's Spanish Flu. But we don't know that yet and I'm just not up for hysteria until that is deemed an appropriate response. I'll just practice some better hygiene habits and prepare for maybe having to remain in place for a couple of weeks. Right now there's not enough information for me where I am now to do much differently. I've got lots of other things to worry about.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    My son is teaching English in Vietnam but they have closed all the schools.
    I bet there are more people in this situation than we'd think. Wishing your sln the best with this situation. Rob

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I bet there are more people in this situation than we'd think. Wishing your sln the best with this situation. Rob
    Should be son, sorry for the typo.

I wish he would come home but at 40 he loves it and I am not telling him what to do.

Right now, this is not Ebola. This is not the 1918 Spanish flu which was almost worse than Ebola. So far the professionals estimate that 80% get a mild case, 18% a serious case and 2% can die. The elderly (over 80) and those with an underlying condition are most of the ones dying. Remember that only those with symptoms from specific areas or with specific situations are being tested. So the thousands that had it and got over it are not even counted and will increase the 80% having mild cases. And it has been found that the test is not perfect.

Keep in mind the death rate will fluctuate depending on the availability of medical facilities to treat the critical cases. I think that is why Iran, in particular, has a high death rate. Well that plus the lockdown on the media reporting and social factors.

Yppej
    I am not concerned about myself but am about my elderly parents. They bought a 50 pound bag of potatoes but other than that are taking it in stride. But both of them have made peace with their God and everyone on earth, appreciate that they got beyond fourscore and ten, and while they treasure each day (especially my mom who almost died twice) are ready to go if corona or anything else takes them.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I am not concerned about myself but am about my elderly parents. They bought a 50 pound bag of potatoes but other than that are taking it in stride. But both of them have made peace with their God and everyone on earth, appreciate that they got beyond fourscore and ten, and while they treasure each day (especially my mom who almost died twice) are ready to go if corona or anything else takes them.
    I love this! While I haven't bought a 50 pound bag of potatoes, I am trying to make my peace with everyone and everything. And, while treasuring each day is sometimes hard to do, again, I'm trying. I have seen how quickly death can come and I'm not counting on having "time" to prepare myself when it finally does come. Thanks for the reminder.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information