Page 13 of 601 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113513 ... LastLast

Thread: Conavirus......

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I'm working on training myself not to shake hands, and trying to get in the habit of other social distancing practices. (For instance, I'm going to the grocery store here now when I know it's basically empty.)

We get ~1 million tourists a year here in our community of ~5000 people, so I should probably be better at all this.
    Tourism will grind to a halt when this thing really hits. But you will still get people. Stragglers. Bargain hunters.

The other day I was talking with someone in our dancing group and wondered how much of a hit our monthly dance admissions will take when a bunch of older people decide they don't want to be dancing up close and personal with others. The complete opposite of social distancing....
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Tourism will grind to a halt when this thing really hits. But you will still get people. Stragglers. Bargain hunters.
    I'm dubious about that. People come here because it is "remote" and "unspoiled", I'm worried more may come here, viewing it as a safer place to visit.

I hope you are right though, I'd love a break from the crowds this summer!

We haven’t changed our behavior but it’s not here yet. We will when things change.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I'm working on training myself not to shake hands, and trying to get in the habit of other social distancing practices.
    Last week, DH and I went to church (we're still in NJ, and it wasn't a church we've been to before). When we did the Peace, the people in front of us turned to us and said, "Oh, we have a cold, so we're just fist-bumping".

It occurred to us later that they probably don't have a cold; that they are doing the fist-bump because of the virus.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

The fist bump seems a poor compromise, you're still touching your hands together.

We do a training drill pretty frequently where we contaminate a surface or a patient with a small amount of very very fine powder that glows in UV, and then do a scenario. After it is over, and everything cleaned up, a bit later we go over with the UV, and see how far the contamination has spread outside the "clean" area. It can make it all the way from the scene to the inside of the station and the break room.

Be careful out there. Your common sense intuition of such things isn't well-tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    We haven’t changed our behavior but it’s not here yet. We will when things change.
    I think the problem with that is that some of these sorts of diseases are transmissible before you know that it's in your community. By the time you think things have changed, they already have.

Bae, that’s probably true but we already spend a lot of time at home so need to get out some.

Personally I wonder if, depending on how this plays out, this is the point where we realize that lack of paid sick days for low paid workers (fast food/restaurants/grocery stores, etc) is really such a good idea regardless of whether one works those jobs. Sure, I can stay home if I don't feel well. Heck, I work from home so I have the luxury of being able to lie down for a while if I don't feel well and I still get paid and don't have to take a day off. But a minimum wage employee? Not so much. Is it really realistic to ask them/expect them to stay home if they think they have something that may or may not be the coronavirus? Especially if it means they won't make rent or other bills for the month?

It would surely be better for all of us if they could, in fact, stay home when they are sick.

There are a lot of jobs where working from home isn’t an option. Or the employer doesn’t give the Average Joe access, only managers. That’s the way it is at my job. I could access email from home. Nothing more. And you need remote access to our shipping software to really be able to be productive.

Thread Information