Page 199 of 601 FirstFirst ... 99149189197198199200201209249299 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,990 of 6008

Thread: Conavirus......

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    There doesn’t seem to be any definitive pattern that I can see except maybe plane travel. Three traveled by plane in February and March. One lives in nyc and probably got it either on transit or at a store before masking was universal. One just got it despite serious efforts to play it safe and one likely got it through their kid’s daycare because several families got it.

We’re continuing to stay home as much as possible but since we’re moving in a week we’ve had random people in our home and will have to do so some more over the next week and a half. A risk but there’s not really anything we can do to avoid it other than mask up, wash hands a lot and open windows.
    Thanks, that's interesting. Not exactly super spreader events, but mostly higher risk situations from what we now know.

I see a big threat to civil liberties from those who want to fine and arrest people for not wearing masks, or infinitely worse, for not believing in wearing masks.
    My son's friend teaches first grade in Maine, and on the first day of school, one of his students announced that Covid was a conspiracy and ripped his mask off and threw it in the trash.
    Are you going to arrest him? Take him away from his parents saying they are unfit parents?
    My experience here is like Alan's--people are working hard to wear masks and socially distance and do everything that is requested of them.
    Assuming people are ill intentioned or criminals because they might be carriers of a disease--we still have to live together, and this does not help at all.

It’s always 20% of the people causing 80% of the problems. The good old 80/20 rule. In any organized social activity, there’s always those who think the rules don’t apply to them. Then there are the ones who comply but they bitch and moan about it.

In our community garden this year our rate of poor participation was low, only two or three beds out of 40 were useless dolts. Usually we have 6 or 7 problem children. Another example— Our friend is in charge of collecting $2000 from each household that goes into a fund to repaint their row house facade. He said 2 households didn’t pay last year and haven’t yet paid this year. He said that’s the rate no matter who is living in those units, it’s always 2 who don’t pay up.

There is always without fail a rate of noncompliance regardless of the social rule, regardless of the social strata, regardless of the issue.

The Washington Post had a recent article surveying major cities around the world and what is permitted and what is not. Nearly ever city requires masks and most have police checks and fines. There are reasons why we have such a high number of infections and I could speculate that at least some of some of it comes down to expressions of personal liberty at the risk of others.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...g/?arc404=true

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    It's been my understanding that personal freedoms end or need to be limited when that restricts the liberties of others. Like, limiting exposure to second hand smoke or drinking and driving. I see similarities in Covid behavior and following healthy guidelines. It's not like it's unconditional, although there are certainly gray areas.
    Yes, this is my understanding as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I understand they hand out masks at those rallies, that takes us back to the original question. Do you want them arrested or fined and does that desire have anything to do with whether or not they're wearing a mask?
    The point is... we are IN A PANDEMIC!!! If people do not wear masks to protect others and themselves they should be fined or worse. They are totally stupid... including our moron president. People protect their possessions by all means possible... shouldn't our health be protected also?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I get what you're saying, I just don't like the idea of government mandates which then require punitive measures to punish any naysayers.

I admittedly don't get out as much as I used to but I do visit the local grocery store and hardware store and gas station from time to time. Maybe it's just my area but I haven't seen anyone violating mask guidelines while in proximity to others in months. Maybe they're all just reasonable people who figure that the guidelines make sense and it's in their interest to follow them but I'd hate to see the odd person without a mask face legal consequences for it.

Keep the guidelines and forget about punishing people for their lapses. I doubt their intent is to hurt you.
    What is the point of having guidelines then? I really don't care their intent!

An odd person would be able to get a mask free of charge in many places. That is no excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I see a big threat to civil liberties from those who want to fine and arrest people for not wearing masks, or infinitely worse, for not believing in wearing masks.
    My son's friend teaches first grade in Maine, and on the first day of school, one of his students announced that Covid was a conspiracy and ripped his mask off and threw it in the trash.
    Are you going to arrest him? Take him away from his parents saying they are unfit parents?
    My experience here is like Alan's--people are working hard to wear masks and socially distance and do everything that is requested of them.
    Assuming people are ill intentioned or criminals because they might be carriers of a disease--we still have to live together, and this does not help at all.
    IMO that child should be sent home and suspended. If it continues... suspended indefinitely. The parents are teaching this child this nonsense.

The other children there need to be protected.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    The point is... we are IN A PANDEMIC!!! If people do not wear masks to protect others and themselves they should be fined or worse. They are totally stupid... including our moron president. People protect their possessions by all means possible... shouldn't our health be protected also?
    See Rogar's post above.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    IMO that child should be sent home and suspended. If it continues... suspended indefinitely. The parents are teaching this child this nonsense.

The other children there need to be protected.
    I guess I see it differently. The children in school are already getting "mask breaks" so they are not wearing the masks for the entire class period. The risk he presented with his action was no more than the risk they all present each other several times a day.

Suspending a first grader on the first day of school seems antithetical to the idea of education. Here is your opportunity to teach how to get along with others and to look out for others and to live in a civilized society.

I find this situation ironic, as did the teacher. If nothing else, the child is thinking critically, which is another goal of public education. If you believe Covid is a conspiracy, then why wear a mask? That is impressive logic for a six year old. Well ahead of his age, developmentally speaking.

If you are a teacher, you are there to teach. So get teaching.

Oh well. Praying they all stay safe. He is not in my granddaughter's pod as he is in a different district. Half her class is being kept home by their parents and homeschooled. Of the 30 registered, only 14 are actually going to school at the school, and they are in two pods of 7, and only go to school two days a week.

My husband said he would have kept the kids home if we were in that situation. Why risk it? I would have done the same thing. But I totally understand what my son was trying to do by sending her.

Thread Information