Page 221 of 601 FirstFirst ... 121171211219220221222223231271321 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,210 of 6008

Thread: Conavirus......

Much of Asia is doing well because they're used to wearing masks during times of epidemic.

If we live with it for years it will be with a depressed economy, because noone needs to go to an indoor sit down restaurant, a bar (though some 20 somethings will do it, and well alcoholics of all ages, but that's it), live entertainment, movie theaters, cruises, airlines most of the time etc.. I don't need any of this and would be foolish to do it. I don't even need to try on clothes and even that spending is bound to be down. And frankly I can go forever without dental cleanings too. Oh I drove my 80 something mom to dental *surgery* she needed, but there is a difference between needed surgery and stuff like cleanings and xrays one can easily go without. Old people can't stay home entirely either, and neither should they, it would be completely fricken ridiculous - I don't mean from all this unnecessary fluff that I've just listed, but actual life must go on.

I suppose it is de-growth, this new covid austerity where spending money is hardly worth the risk, not a particularly well thought out de-growth, but noone is thinking anything out at all.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Much of Asia is doing well because they're used to wearing masks during times of epidemic.
    But they still have cases. It's not like masks eliminate covid. Even if masks could prevent all spread, and we all got our nutrients from IVs instead of opening our mouths to eat, it would be hard to keep masks on everyone. Most places exempt those under age 2, some places up to age 10. My mother visited a friend of hers outdoors at a nursing home the other day. The woman is in her second childhood at times, and clawing to get the mask off her face. Other times she is more lucid/compliant. Being masked is no way to live. It's awful.

FFS

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Being masked is no way to live. It's awful.
    For all your whining about masks, I have yet to see where you have taken a stand on your beliefs and stopped wearing one. Go ahead - stop wearing a mask and be happier than you apparently are now. Take the risk AND take the responsibility for anyone you may infect. Wearing a mask CAN help keep you living, while catching covid and being sick and/or dying is what is truly awful. But, please, live what you are espousing and stop wearing your mask and I hope that makes you happy for the time you have left in life, because your anti-mask posts truly reflect that you are totally unhappy with your life right now where masking is concerned. I truly hope you can come to terms with this soon, as the virus is NOT going away and you seem truly miserable with regards to masking.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

But they still have cases. It's not like masks eliminate covid. Even if masks could prevent all spread, and we all got our nutrients from IVs instead of opening our mouths to eat, it would be hard to keep masks on everyone. Most places exempt those under age 2, some places up to age 10. My mother visited a friend of hers outdoors at a nursing home the other day. The woman is in her second childhood at times, and clawing to get the mask off her face. Other times she is more lucid/compliant. Being masked is no way to live. It's awful.
    Dying of a disease whose spread is significantly limited by wearing a damn mask really isn’t much of a way to live either.

OMG, the math/statistics/analysis being discussed here are part of the standard SEVENTH grade curriculum that I’m facilitating with home-schooled students... unbelievable.
    Last edited by mschrisgo2; 10-18-20 at 11:03pm. Reason: Spelling

Yppej
    The most basic equation, as pointed out by some researchers, is masks = complacency about social distancing. So maybe first grade math.

Here is an article on this:

https://www.mychamplainvalley.com/ne...ndates-needed/

"People who wear masks may be more likely to contract Covid-19...."

And this article debunks the idea that it was mask wearing that controlled the spread of covid in Asia:

https://slate.com/technology/2020/04...ks-debate.html

The author also makes the excellent point that people who can stay home should, have things delivered. Yet in these forums multip!e individuals have said you can't expect high risk groups like the elderly to stay home because they will get bored. I guess they think "dying of boredom" is more fatal than dying of covid. More fuzzy math.

An example of the current flawed mindset is my mother who is 79 with various medical conditions. She heard a friend of hers in her eighties was recently moved to a nursing home. She called a half dozen people determined to find out which facility and eventually succeeded. She went to visit her and said, "We were wearing masks". They were also outdoors, but had to go indoors to get to the outdoor patio. I would be worried I would kill my friend. I would not go but would talk to her on the phone.

I think the articles show that masks aren't useless, but they are part of a multi-pronged approach that includes distancing and hygiene. We should be doing all three. Ignoring any one of these measures will increase our vulnerability.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

The most basic equation, as pointed out by some researchers, is masks = complacency about social distancing. So maybe first grade math.

Here is an article on this:

https://www.mychamplainvalley.com/ne...ndates-needed/

"People who wear masks may be more likely to contract Covid-19...."

And this article debunks the idea that it was mask wearing that controlled the spread of covid in Asia:

https://slate.com/technology/2020/04...ks-debate.html

The author also makes the excellent point that people who can stay home should, have things delivered. Yet in these forums multip!e individuals have said you can't expect high risk groups like the elderly to stay home because they will get bored. I guess they think "dying of boredom" is more fatal than dying of covid. More fuzzy math.

An example of the current flawed mindset is my mother who is 79 with various medical conditions. She heard a friend of hers in her eighties was recently moved to a nursing home. She called a half dozen people determined to find out which facility and eventually succeeded. She went to visit her and said, "We were wearing masks". They were also outdoors, but had to go indoors to get to the outdoor patio. I would be worried I would kill my friend. I would not go but would talk to her on the phone.
    I don't doubt that wearing a mask can offer a false sense of security and there has to be additional measures. I think that is the basic point of the articles, but I'd point out that the Slate article is dated April 2020. We've learned a lot since then, enough to say the article is partially obsolete. but point taken that some of the successes in Asia were also due to other factors as well as masks. The other link seems to be counter to your argument. You took a short statement out of the context of the article. I can't see in any of your posts that seem to obsess with not wearing a mask hold any water. Last I have to say on the subject. From the first link.

“Messaging that people need to wear a mask is essential, but insufficient,” she said. “It should go hand in hand with education that masks don’t give you a free pass to see as many people as you want. You still need to strictly limit your contacts.”

Thread Information