Page 229 of 601 FirstFirst ... 129179219227228229230231239279329 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,290 of 6008

Thread: Conavirus......

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    Bitter pill to swallow... My county has had its first COVID-19 fatality. In my state, the death count is 1,778.

All the numbers seem to say we are still getting sicker.

Personally, I believe our only hope lies in splendid isolation. In the fullness of time there likely will be a vaccine. But until then, we will not be congregating for any cause, however worthy!
    Not how I would describe the situation. Obviously, you enjoy isolation based on your location. The winter is going to be hell IMO. I'm already feeling blue and have been able to social distance outside with neighbors.

The movie theater complex near us has closed too. There is talk about it perhaps becoming an Amazon facility. I haven't been to the movies since Titanic was released, so it won't be a loss to me personally, but it's still too bad.

We’re fortunate to live somewhere that has decent weather all winter with the exception of occasional rain so we can continue doing outside things. For instance this weekend we went to sonoma and did a few wine tastings. Wineries tend to have lots of outdoor space so they can easily do very distanced tastings. And the hotel we stayed at is a bunch of separate cottages so that was also reasonably safe. As is the well spaced outdoor dining we did. If we go again this winter we’ll likely get takeout dinners since it will be a bit cool to sit outside after the sun goes down. If we still lived in NJ I’d be dreading this winter because the isolation would be tough, even for a semi introvert like me.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    We’re fortunate to live somewhere that has decent weather all winter with the exception of occasional rain so we can continue doing outside things. For instance this weekend we went to sonoma and did a few wine tastings. Wineries tend to have lots of outdoor space so they can easily do very distanced tastings. And the hotel we stayed at is a bunch of separate cottages so that was also reasonably safe. As is the well spaced outdoor dining we did. If we go again this winter we’ll likely get takeout dinners since it will be a bit cool to sit outside after the sun goes down. If we still lived in NJ I’d be dreading this winter because the isolation would be tough, even for a semi introvert like me.
    The authorities here are still pushing outdoor dining, but really, that has passed here. It was 36 degrees today with snow and sleet in the Chicago area. People aren't going to be eating outside in this weather and it's going to get worse.

I guess I should probably schedule another hair cut before stuff gets shut down again.

A lot of restaurants here, if they have the space, seem to be building semi permanent outdoor dining spaces with some sort of covering and patio heaters everywhere. It doesn’t really seem sustainable. Propane tanks are expensive. And if it’s windy those heaters just aren’t enough. On Friday I based my food choice for dinner on what would hold heat long enough for me to eat it all. I really wanted the cod but didn’t want to have something that would get cold before I finished. And that was with it still being 60 degrees and only mildly breezy. Any colder and instead of Moroccan chicken I’d have gone with a bowl of soup. That’s just not a great dining experience. On the other hand we’ve found a great sushi place near our new house. I suppose we could keep doing outside dining there all winter as long as we wear warm enough clothes! 😃

Yeah, I expect that restaurants down south will fare much better than the northern restaurants that have to close down their al fresco dining soon if they haven't already. My son was laid off again because his restaurant is going to take-out only for the winter. They told him to touch base with them in the spring. I'm wondering if they'll survive the winter, frankly.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Not how I would describe the situation. Obviously, you enjoy isolation based on your location. The winter is going to be hell IMO. I'm already feeling blue and have been able to social distance outside with neighbors.
    I don't complain about "winter" here (though I am using the heater some last couple days). But I'm as weary of coronavirus as this.

One might have to risk some exposure to earn money but that's just money and what one must do. There's nothing fun to do and nothing is fun anymore anyway ( https://www.vox.com/the-goods/215237...uarantine-home ). There is nothing meaningful to do as one feels utterly severed from any larger society anyway, I've never cared less about the rest of society in my life, almost it can go to heck for all I care, because I'm just so disconnected (yea, but I'll vote). I think about reading books about hermits and whatever it is they found meaning in if they did, because hermits yea that's the aspirational goal at this point, what is the meaning in hermitage? Any good hermit book recommendations? Keeping in mind Thoreau got my social contact than I do. It never feels safe, everything is a decision of take the risk or not, except you know sitting at home which is almost all one does, as well it's safe. Oh goes and walks in this local place or wherever I guess, same old same old.
    Trees don't grow on money

ANM, it might be too religious for you, but St Seraphim of Sarov (Russian Orthodox saint) was a hermit for many years. He was said to have a special connection to animals.

Even though SO and I are Reasonably safe and relatively happy and have been able to see friends in a semi-safe way since we have a nice backyard I get the stress people are feeling. My blood pressure issues a few months ago were undoubtedly covid related. I keep in the back of my mind that this too shall pass. One way or another (hopefully not herd immunity) this will end. Hopefully with a soon vaccine since the alternative is truly depressing.

I just heard that another major plant society conference is cancelled for 2021. Good! I am glad they are making these calls early. Now, I just have to get the powers that be to Focus on a cancellation date for the regional iris conference next May. It should not take place.

On Sunday we attended an indoor 4 hour daffodil exchange event. It was held in a huge, beautiful meeting hall. About 20 people spread out in an area designed for 350 people. Interesting aside, the hall was designed by our Hermann architect who is also our neighbor.

Thread Information