Page 233 of 601 FirstFirst ... 133183223231232233234235243283333 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,330 of 6008

Thread: Conavirus......

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    One thing about circles - you should only be part of one circle. If you are part of several circles, and others do the same, then no circle is that safe.
    I’m primarily referring to my circles of friends.

But I still go diving and occasionally socially distanced church services.

Just heard on the radio that 2/3 of recent cases are from gatherings in private homes. Half of the deaths in the state of IL occurred in nursing homes or assisting living facilities.

Yppej
    I heard today on the news there is a big uptick in child marriages in India due to covid. Families are selling off girls as young as 12 because they can no longer afford to feed them.

I imagine many folks here won't give a rat's behind about these poor girls, forced to drop out of school to marry grown men, and with their whole lives ahead of them harmed, so long as the economic restrictions in place prolong the lives of sick older Americans by weeks, months, or a small number of years.

Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I heard today on the news there is a big uptick in child marriages in India due to covid. Families are selling off girls as young as 12 because they can no longer afford to feed them.

I imagine many folks here won't give a rat's behind about these poor girls, forced to drop out of school to marry grown men, and with their whole lives ahead of them harmed, so long as the economic restrictions in place prolong the lives of sick older Americans by weeks, months, or a small number of years.
    What do the tragic circumstances of child brides in India due to their covid-imposed economic restrictions have to do with the well-being of older Americans. They are on different continents, I believe.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    What do the tragic circumstances of child brides in India due to their covid-imposed economic restrictions have to do with the well-being of older Americans. They are on different continents, I believe.
    The US is a huge economic engine for the global economy. Restrictions here impact people around the world, especially the poorest of the poor. Famine is mushrooming since covid lockdowns went into place EVEN IN COUNTRIES WITH NO LOCKDOWNS because of the impact of reduced global trade.

If older and other vulnerable Americans guarded their well being voluntarily through social isolation and government restrictions were not put in place there would not be these deadly unintended consequences around the globe.

Do you think a failed state like Somalia can impose covid restrictions effectively? Do you think poor people in a country like Somalia largely survive on remittances from Somalis working in countries with restrictions that led to them losing their jobs?

This is just one example.

I am absolutely not happy with my priest right now. Due to the increasing positivity rate in IL, he’s banned anyone who has traveled elsewhere in the Midwest from services for 14 days after their return. I travel to WI and OH for diving. It’s no secret. He reached out to me directly and told me I’m banned.

There was no mention of people who are holding gatherings and visiting others homes. Other folks in the parish do this. I’ve seen the photos on FB. And some of these have been gatherings of more than 20 people. When I asked my priest what about those folks, I was told it was none of my business. 2/3 of the recent cases in the Chicago area have been from private gatherings. A number of people in the parish have contracted it from private gatherings with family members.

I’m peeved. I don’t eat in restaurants. I get fast food/carryout. I see my diving friends outdoors and socially distanced. No indoor private gatherings. I always wear a mask. I’ve cancelled my usual Thanksgiving and Christmas gatherings. I work at home. I’ve quit going to the gym for the past two weeks.

Yppej
    Tradd I wonder if you sent your priest Tammy's link on covid risks in pictures would he see the danger of home gatherings. Probably not. So many people have tunnel vision.

Denmark has decided to cull their entire population of mink (15 to 17 million animals). I understand that COVID-19 spread from humans to the mink, then mutated and spread from mink to about 12 humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Tradd I wonder if you sent your priest Tammy's link on covid risks in pictures would he see the danger of home gatherings. Probably not. So many people have tunnel vision.
    I really doubt it. He’s not been handling other situations well. When someone recently had concerns about the way communion was being distributed (priest uses one large spoon under normal circumstances - wine and a bit of bread are fished out of the chalice with spoon. Priest has been using a different spoon for each person. She thought that was too strict), she was told she was “not allowed to have an opinion” on the topic. Which was really stupid for him to say. He could have listened to her concerns and then told her the bishop has stipulated how it’s to be done.

Thread Information