Page 297 of 601 FirstFirst ... 197247287295296297298299307347397 ... LastLast
Results 2,961 to 2,970 of 6008

Thread: Conavirus......

Yppej
    So after the UK variant is already in at least 8 states, and variants from South Africa, Japan, and other places are racing around the globe, the CDC is going to start requiring covid tests for international air travellers. Yep, these same tests in the news lately for high false negative rates. They've finally decided the barn door should be shut, but it's stuck due the demands of the jet set, so they've got it partially ajar now. Good luck with that.

Troll

JP: That is so sad about the gorillas.

DH got his second vaccine shot today. So far, so good.

Yppej
    I am reading The Splendid and the Vile and what a contrast to today. I just finished a chapter on the bombing of Coventry.

Today you may have to do a virtual farewell to a loved one. Then a bomb could kill a loved one instantly, no farewell, and the body might be so mangled it cannot be identified and claimed.

Now the government provides financial assistance including SNAP so people can eat more. Then food was rationed.

Then people wanted to go to dangerous zones to volunteer and help. Now we are told to quarantine and hide from danger.

Then the leader, Churchill, was seen as uncultured and bombastic by his critics rather like Trump, but he put the country first. Trump puts himself first.

I am sure there are other parallels I am missing, but the main takeaway I get is how lucky Americans are they have not had a war on their soil within the memory of anyone living, and how silly the media are with their breathless reporting of covid as if it were the greatest disaster ever, and of the divides in this country portending some sort of civil war. We are a long way from war, as anyone who lived through a home soil war would know.

Tell overwhelmed health care workers that COVID is not a disaster. I dare you.

Yppej
    It's not the greatest disaster ever, as I wrote.

In many parts of the world the economic side effects are much more dire than the health impact. Then again, we are talking countries with lower life expectancies and lower average ages, so they are less vulnerable.

When some people are in the middle of something and it grabs all their attention they lose perspective. Most reporters fall in this category.

The bombing of Coventry resulted in several mass burials of bodies that could not be identified, hundreds at a time. 2294 buildings were destroyed and another 45,704 were damaged. Our Capitol building has some broken glass but still stands. We will get through covid and the mobs and everything else. Life in America is still so good we are the immigration beacon of the world (not New Zealand).

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Tell overwhelmed health care workers that COVID is not a disaster. I dare you.
    Yeah. Smile when you say that.

30,000 died in London during the entirety of the German bombing campaign. We've had about that many deaths in the USA from COVID so far in the first 11 days of January this year.

So, troll the heck off.

So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. ....
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Yeah. Smile when you say that.
    For those too young to remember:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlyUeUz1awU

Thread Information