Page 3 of 601 FirstFirst 123451353103503 ... LastLast

Thread: Conavirus......

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    They should call off the meeting IL.
    yes, the micro climate of that house, shut up in the middle of winter with no outside ventilation, creates a petri dish.

I am guessing DH’s troublesome sister who is always sickly will cry “I can’t come due to China infection risk” and since she is pivotal in the deal making, it would render the meetup moot. That is, unless they do teleconferencing, which they might.

Yppej
    Rob you might like pandemic novels by Richard Preston and Michael Crichton.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I'm on the regional infectious disease control team. We transport Ebola patients and other fun things. I keep a biohazard response kit packed and ready at all time, which includes the cool suits and so on.

We get information often a bit ahead of the media spin cycle, and it's often less-spun. The information I receive has consistently indicated the potential is much worse than most folks believe, and that the on-the-ground situation was much worse than is/was being reported. Consistently, about a day or two after each report I get, public information confirming has appeared.

We're taking all available precautions.

It is fascinating to watch the political posturing, media fluffery, anti-science mobs, and conspiracy nuts develop during the situation.
    reading your posts through the years you are extremely informed, logical and non hysterical. Your info was my initial feeling when Coronavirus news starting coming out. Our medical system is already taxed in many places.
    looking at the breakdown of deaths, they are largely skewed towards 60 years old and up.

The cat is out of the bag, so to speak and the known cases are multiplying at frighteningly rapid rates. It is almost everywhere in the world now, with a very high mortality rate.

Besides the obvious health implications, this could have a big effect on the world economy. With large portions of China on lockdown, exports will be strained and as we all know, it is hard to find an article of clothing or any item for that matter made in North America. Retail and other service jobs such as restaurants and truck transport are such huge parts of our economy if people stay home and transport slows down (ie.people are afraid to fly, eat out or go to stores) we could be in for a rough ride.

I was due to travel to Asia and Europe again next month but had to turn it down because of scheduling conflicts, and I have to admit, I'm relieved. I like the notion of "sequestering the healthy" that was in the article bae posted about Princeton's response to the 1918 pandemic. The more I can sequester myself, within reason, the safer I'll feel until this thing is over.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I managed to break away from work for 1/2 hour yesterday - it's my busy season right now. To date there have been no conference cancellations but this could change going forward. During my 1/2 hour away from work I was able to buy a few bottles of goldenseal tincture for myself and family plus I've bought more online to arrive soon. Ir's what little I can do. Also I'm eating raw onion - small amounts - before I call it a day - raw onion has been documented to kill off TB. Chewing parsley helps with breath and onions are not as breath problematic as garlic. Wondering if garlic tincture exists? It's a wonderful immune booster.

And something nice? The citrus tree in my front yard is a source of immune boosting vitamin C. I just believe now is a time to hunker down and boost immunity. And my trip to Thailand is up in the air. I believe it's best to see how this virus is going to play out before visiting SE Asia. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Rob you might like pandemic novels by Richard Preston and Michael Crichton.
    Thank You, Yppej. I will look into these novels for post season reading. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I was due to travel to Asia and Europe again next month but had to turn it down because of scheduling conflicts, and I have to admit, I'm relieved. I like the notion of "sequestering the healthy" that was in the article bae posted about Princeton's response to the 1918 pandemic. The more I can sequester myself, within reason, the safer I'll feel until this thing is over.
    I can completely understand your relief, Catherine. I myself am putting off travel to Thailand until such a date as there is more safety from and more overall known about this virus. Just think it's for the best. Rob

If onions and garlic are the answer, Iris Lily and I are covered.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    interesting. I imagine subways, amusement parks, airplanes and airports, super bowl stadiums etc. would be very difficult places to avoid the virus if it continues to spread. For people in cities, this would prove to be difficult just to live.

We live 1.5 hours from disneyworld so I would not be surprised to see cases near me. All the theme parks are always packed. Even going to the grocery store when it is not crowded seems prudent. Self isolation as much as possible does not seem like a bad idea as this evolves.

by the way, rumors are spreading it is much worse in China than authorities have let on. Imagine, government officials could be lying. .

I did a major resupply trip to my Grocery Outlet today, so I'm set for a siege.
    I always gauge my shopping trips to avoid traffic and excess people, as I need a nearby parking place.

Aren't they quarantining people in place? I swear I read somewhere the authorities are shooting people who try to leave. That can't be right...

Thread Information