Page 80 of 157 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130 ... LastLast

Thread: Conavirus......

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    I believe it is seriously under reported. If one dies and does not have a test result, it's not COVID. And plenty are dying without being tested. I'm hearing a LOT of this on a RN COVID group I participate on.

We have a serious lack of testing in this country! I don't care what the orange one says-he is quite wrong!
    I have a coworker whose father died of natural causes and days later with no testing they made the medical examiner change the cause of death. So in my area it is the opposite of what you say. NYC also went back and reclassified deaths weeks later. They did not exhume all the bodies to test them, they just changed the way they counted.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    A case recovered is still a confirmed case. They should NOT be subtracted.
    OK. Got it. But the media could cut down on the alarmist headlines. Places where the curve is going down they still talk about a growing number of cases when the rate of infection is going down. Fortunately my governor is looking more at hospitalization rates. He has a background in healthcare.

Remember media is really now only for one thing: Ratings. In addition, there is little "competence" in what is being reported on but a lot of copy and paste. In our town, I get more from Facebook from the police and fire dept. I noted long ago that our media just copies what is provided. Loads of opinion, suppositions, and anecdotal stuff instead of reporting of facts. The more sensational the better. But how much good info can be given in the 1-2 minutes allocated to anything?

Just too pessimistic today.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Remember media is really now only for one thing: Ratings. In addition, there is little "competence" in what is being reported on but a lot of copy and paste. In our town, I get more from Facebook from the police and fire dept. I noted long ago that our media just copies what is provided. Loads of opinion, suppositions, and anecdotal stuff instead of reporting of facts. The more sensational the better. But how much good info can be given in the 1-2 minutes allocated to anything?

Just too pessimistic today.
    How much is it the fault of the media and how much is the fault that the public doesn't want to read details. IMO, the public would rather be fed quick sound bytes to simple, black and white questions rather than the indepth truth of today's reality.
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

There has been a serious uptick in deaths compared to March and April of last year--even accounting for COVID deaths.. This has led many to believe the corona virus is responsible. At least that's the way I understand it.

Yes, and probably many are dying for the reasons that Bae's friend died, that they are cut off from regular medical care.

It's not a good time to get sick with anything, that's for sure.

How much is it the fault of the media and how much is the fault that the public doesn't want to read details. IMO, the public would rather be fed quick sound bytes to simple, black and white questions rather than the in depth truth of today's reality.
    Doesn't want is a bit much, probably more like lacks the capacity (not necessarily the intelligence in all cases, maybe some, I don't know). To ask the kind of questions that just come second nature to me, of the type I was almost if not literally taught at my mama's knee, like is this a cumulative or current total etc.. That's just basic trying to understand stuff, though I've been paid to deal with my fair share of data which maybe helps, but it doesn't make one an epidemiologist, for that I just try to understand what the actual experts are telling us as best I can.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Our society closed down so that hospitals would not be overloaded, so we wouldnt have to ration respirators and medical care and etc.

Does anyone see the irony in our choosing not to award health cares services to some sick people while limiting health care services to other sick people, we did exactly that?

CA remains under a pretty severe lockdown as of now, but one limit that was lifted a week ago was on some medical procedures. Will it catch everyone who might need a medical procedure, maybe not. But it seems you can get a colonscopy if you really want one etc.

Are some people that could definitely get medical care still not going to, not because it's not available, but because they are SCARED of going to the hospital or the doctor with coronavirus around? Definitely!
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

They reduced or eliminated "elective" surgeries. Those having a heart attack, stroke, appendix issues were not considered elective and should always have made the same visits to the emergency rooms. There are a lot of people dying at home or coming in at the last moment when way too sick since they are afraid to come. Big uptick in problem cases and big decrease in nuisance emergency visits. Complex issues.

I am not be a doctor but listen to the medical news and try to glean what I can. Finding a lot out about how the virus is affecting multiple organs and even the brain and why. This is not just a respiratory disease like the flu or a cold.

Thread Information