Page 85 of 601 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135185585 ... LastLast

Thread: Conavirus......

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Ha, who would have thought that Sarah Palin was right about death panels. What she was wrong about though was it’s not the ACA.
    Whats a few hundred thousand deaths if the stock market is good?

The great Boomer Remover might help shore up Social Security too. Win win.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Considering that NONE of the states that are majorly opening up have met the stats for being ready to open I would personally suggest that you praise your lucky stars that you have a cautious governor. The next few months are going to be a nightmare bloodbath of needless death in some states. And with treasonous-trump praising the death cult protestors the pressure on the rest of the governors to do the wrong thing and open up too soon will undoubtedly prove insurmountable for some.
    Hear hear!
    Personally, I wouldn't risk death for a haircut, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    If we go into another decades long Great Depression jp1 we'll see if you still feel that way. My late neighbor told me how he supported 12 people because he was the only one in his extended family who could get a job. The Grapes of Wrath is fiction but the hunger it portrays was real.

My parents are 79 and 81 and I get the fear of losing someone, but folks like that are retired and can stay home. There's no need to shut down the economy for everyone else. The average age of a covid death is 81 in my state. It's not shut down OR open with a mask. It's shut down so you can't even get a haircut for months AND wear masks even when you're not going into businesses. The mayor of Boston actually scolded joggers and bicyclists for not wearing masks never mind that you could hyperventilate and pass out. It's beyond caution, it's taking away basic rights including freedom of religion. The Christian Bible says do not neglect to assemble yourselves together (Hebrews 10:25). I will be interested to see if a religious freedom case makes it to the Supreme Court.
    The Bible also says "And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. Truly I tell you, they already have their full reward. 6But when you pray, go into your inner room, shut your door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7And when you pray, do not babble on like pagans, for they think that by their many words they will be heard.…" Matthew 6:6 I'm pretty sure God doesn't want churches full of people infecting (and reinfecting, which looks possible with this scourge) each other. Or maybe He does.

We “risk death” every time we leave the house for a haircut, and always have. This virus is just one additional factor. But what is the best way to assess that factor? If we look at deaths per 100,000, places like Georgia and Florida seem far better off than New York and New Jersey (I’m looking at statista.com). Texas is doing better than famously restrictive California.

I realize there are many variables at play here that affect how much a given area is affected, and that we will be in a much better position to make comparisons a year or two from now, so it seems premature to me to wave the bloody shirt at the “reckless” decisions of governors for “prioritizing the economy over lives”. Surely there is a workable position somewhere between ignoring the virus and confining the population like veal calves for the indefinite future?

Our liberal governor, in an interview defending the opening of some businesses, said every American at some time with either get the virus and become sick, be exposed to the virus and be asymptomatic, or be vaccinated. Speculation of course, but could be over the next several months. I suppose alternatives would be the virus mutates to a less virulent form or some sort of herd immunity happens sooner.

Hear hear!
    Personally, I wouldn't risk death for a haircut, but that's just me.
    I'm not sure I'd risk it for my job. Many times I end up contemplating whether I should quit or go back if they force us back in a time of rampant virus spread. And it's not at all clear it's better to have a job. All this for a job I can do at home anyway, but doesn't mean working from home will be allowed. So if I quit and end up poor, well better poor than dead, better poor than on a ventilator (which won't help my finances either), although I've taken the opposite position at times (tell me what kind of world I live in that I'm SO OFTEN weighing death versus being unable to make a living, that's it's so often death or unemployment, unemployment or suicide, that this is life here so often). Poverty in America also of course leads to death, but in a longer run. It doesn't have to be this way, yea most countries have a safety net, but not murica. And I pray for a cautious governor, I mean maybe I have one, that remains to be seen.
    Trees don't grow on money

My grandpa was extremely religious yet rarely went to church. He read the Bible daily and kept it to himself. Truly religious people can do the same. Some states are being stupid and people will die in bigger numbers than needed.

Our liberal governor, in an interview defending the opening of some businesses, said every American at some time with either get the virus and become sick, be exposed to the virus and be asymptomatic, or be vaccinated. Speculation of course, but could be over the next several months. I suppose alternatives would be the virus mutates to a less virulent form or some sort of herd immunity happens sooner.
    I don't think an actually liberal governor would put it that way even if they pursued reopening (actions matter more than words but). Even if one is doomed to get the virus no choice, there is probably even individual value in postponing it, one will be *slightly* older, but treatments might be developed, they might get some better handle on treating it etc. Maybe none of that happens. But maybe it does. But society wide those almost certainly aren't the only options. We can't look at countries that handled it well from the beginning as clearly that cat is out of the bag, but ...
    Trees don't grow on money

I keep thinking of those poor, poor meat packing plant workers, who Trump and his cronies are forcing to go back into an environment certain to be fatal to a percentage of them, with few "suggested" safeguards. If they refuse to go back, or quit, they won't get unemployment. It's sickening the way we treat our workers in this country.

Thread Information