Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Myths of memory and aging

Myths of memory and aging

A neuroscientist has researched and written a book on the myths about aging and memory and how to keep healthy.
    https://www.macleans.ca/society/heal...te-your-brain/

1. Don’t retire. Don’t stop being engaged with meaningful work.

2. Look forward. Don’t look back. (Reminiscing doesn’t promote health.)

3. Exercise. Get your heart rate going. Preferably in nature.

4. Embrace a moderated lifestyle with healthy practices.

5. Keep your social circle exciting and new.

6. Spend time with people younger than you.

7. See your doctor regularly, but not obsessively.

8. Don’t think of yourself as old (other than taking prudent precautions).

9. Appreciate your cognitive strengths—pattern recognition, crystallized intelligence, wisdom, accumulated knowledge.

10. Promote cognitive health through experiential learning: traveling, spending time with grandchildren, and immersing yourself in new activities and situations. Do new things.

A: They can seem rather obvious, but I wanted to lead readers to this point, to convey the science and the theory in depth that sets those rules. That’s in order to better motivate them, or leave them with something practical. Me, too. One reason I wrote this book was because I knew people in their 80s and 90s at the top of their game and other people not doing so well in their 80s and 90s. I wanted to figure out the difference so I could advise my parents on what to do. And to prepare myself.
    Last edited by razz; 1-27-20 at 2:38pm.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

razz, the URL appears to have an unnecessary "1" in it... Remove that and the ilnk works fine.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I agree with all except don’t retire. Some people’s jobs are literally killing them. People can find many meaningful activities in retirement.

Yeah, this is a great list. Maybe modify no. 1 to "Engage in meaningful work,"
    since many of us had difficult last full-time jobs.

Retiring from paid work doesn’t mean you retire from meaningful work.

Oh, geez. Spare me from having to be "meaningful."

Retiring was probably the best thing I've ever done.

My mind seems to be holding up OK, and I feel generally healthy, so lists like this are irrelevant to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Oh, geez. Spare me from having to be "meaningful."

Retiring was probably the best thing I've ever done.

My mind seems to be holding up OK, and I feel generally healthy, so lists like this are irrelevant to me.
    Jane, relax! “meaningful” means “ that which holds your interest and keeps you interested in life.” So that could well mean sitting on the sofa perusing craft magazines and making lists of things to order on eBay.

It doesn’t mean saving the world and do-gooding for all mankind. Unless of course this is what trips your trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Retiring from paid work doesn’t mean you retire from meaningful work.
    ++ Agree

Red Simmons (died in 2012 at 102) retired from the Detroit Police Department after a 25-year career. In retirement, he and his wife established a women's running club in Ann Arbor, which developed 3 US Olympic Team members. After the passage of Title IX in 1972, Michigan and other universities initiated women's varsity track and field programs. Therefore, the Michigammes club was wound up. Red Simmons coached university women while he was taking courses to obtain a Masters Degree. In 1976 he was hired as the University of Michigan's first women's track coach.

Until his 101st year, Coach Red Simmons regularly worked out at the athletic center or walked the steps at the Crisler Center indoor arena. He frequently dropped in on the athletic center with words of encouragement for athletes and coaches.

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/forme...ies-at-age-102

My perspective is that #1 not retiring, at least from the traditional work force, can conflict with several of the other points that follow. I agree that meaningful work doesn't necessarily imply being traditionally employed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    My perspective is that #1 not retiring, at least from the traditional work force, can conflict with several of the other points that follow. I agree that meaningful work doesn't necessarily imply being traditionally employed.
    +1. Working leaves me little time to do all the other stuff on the list.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information