Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cute towns

I did not see New Glarus WI on the "cute" list. Some would describe it as a bedroom community for Madison. New Glarus began with a swiss colony (from Glarus) buying 1,200 acres in July 1845.

In 1853 the New Glarus Hotel was built. It is still operating (and still hiring). Polka dances Friday and Saturday night.

Cheese production got underway with limburger in 1868, followed by cheddar in 1873.

An abandoned rail line was repurposed as the Sugar River State Trail.

New Glarus is the site of the Swiss Center of North America... and the New Glarus Brewery. http://www.allaboutbeer.com/new-glarus-25-years-on

I love that museum at New Glarus. It is such a fun town to visit!

Well, if we are going to talk about cute twns not on the list: pretty much every town in NH.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Well, if we are going to talk about cute twns not on the list: pretty much every town in NH.
    Also lots of towns in the Berkshires of MA and coastal MA & ME.

I've visited a handful of them and I'd agree they are cute, although there are a lot not on the list that could compete. The one's I'm familiar with seemed touristy or bedroom communities. I lived in Creede, Colorado for a while and it's indeed small with a population somewhere around 500. At one time it was a working town with employment from hard rock mining for gold and silver into the 1970's, but is now mostly a summer destination for sportsmen, tourists, and some summer homes.

Since there are some New Englanders here, I've spent some time in Woodstock, Vermont visiting friends. I'm actually a little surprised it didn't show up on the list. A lot of the cute towns on the list looked like nice places to visit, but not places I'd want to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    One of them is the town where I was born, so I'm in!
    Me too--#18 Astoria--it's having a bit of a resurgence lately.

The pictures make most of these towns look idyllic, and definitely worth a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I have been to some of them. They are fun to visit but I lived in a town of 2k years ago but no thanks now. Everyone knows everyone’s business plus nothing to do. Even when I go to my hometown of 100k not enough to do.
    That was exactly my experience of living in a town of 300 (Gearhart, OR)--and I was eight at the time...

For some reason I missed Guilford, CT first time around. Definitely fits on the list. I've often talked of my idyllic summers with my great-aunt in Madison, CT. Guilford is right next door. It is so adorable--big New England town green surrounded by businesses and right on the LI Sound. Dowden's Drug Store used to own a proprietary recipe for its "Checkerberry Soda" which was a combination of sarsaparilla, seltzer, and not sure what else that made it a destination for people going to Guilford at the time.

Love that town. Perfect New England town.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yay Bisbee! I thought Springdale was a place I'd been, but that's Hildale - we unknowingly booked a night in a B&B formerly owned by Warren Jeffs. So much for Trip Advisor. Hildale: just say "I don't".

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    Yay Bisbee!
    haha! Yes, you are one of the members that came to mind!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information