Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Cute towns

catherine, I've been to all the NJ towns you mentioned and enjoyed them all. Stockton was a quick drive through but I remember it being really quaint and always wanted to go back. I feel so lucky to live and such a beautiful part of the state.

gettingthere, I LOVE Skee-Ball!!! I'd spend a fortune just playing all day.

Quote Originally Posted by pony mom View Post
    catherine, I've been to all the NJ towns you mentioned and enjoyed them all. Stockton was a quick drive through but I remember it being really quaint and always wanted to go back. I feel so lucky to live and such a beautiful part of the state.

gettingthere, I LOVE Skee-Ball!!! I'd spend a fortune just playing all day.
    A lot of people think NJ is what they see when flying into Newark Airport, but there is still a good bit of farmland and country.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    A lot of people think NJ is what they see when flying into Newark Airport, but there is still a good bit of farmland and country.
    Thank you, happystuff. You are so right. There's LOTS of farmland and country. Go south and you have the Pine Barrens, and go north and you have the green hills and the beautiful, cute towns. When DH and I were looking in VT, we'd come home and go on drives and say "Why move to VT? We can just move to Hunterdon County and we'll feel like we're in Vermont!"

New Jersey gets a bad rap. I wasn't born there but spent more than half my life there, and it really is a great state overall.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Thank you, happystuff. You are so right. There's LOTS of farmland and country. Go south and you have the Pine Barrens, and go north and you have the green hills and the beautiful, cute towns. When DH and I were looking in VT, we'd come home and go on drives and say "Why move to VT? We can just move to Hunterdon County and we'll feel like we're in Vermont!"

New Jersey gets a bad rap. I wasn't born there but spent more than half my life there, and it really is a great state overall.
    New Jersey is a beautiful state--I went to high school in Middletown, and in summers, I would drive over to the beach and take my dog swimming every day. We would go down to Asbury Park--it was still kind of desolate and haunted and there were Fatty Arbuckle film clips still in the antique film clip viewing machines--can't remember what they were called but they were very old.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    New Jersey is a beautiful state--I went to high school in Middletown, and in summers, I would drive over to Sandy Hook and take my dog swimming every day. We would go down to Asbury Park--it was still kind of desolate and haunted and there were Fatty Arbuckle film clips still in the antique film clip viewing machines--can't remember what they were called but they were very old.
    Ocean Grove (our "winter residence") is just a footbridge away from Asbury Park, as I'm sure you know! in the 2000s it started a great renaissance, which was put on hold by the recession in 2008. However, it's still percolating and it's really a great place to live now. I loved the cultural history, boardwalk, church we went to, and its walkability. I'm attaching a couple of pictures.

IMG_1211.jpgIMG_1209.jpgIMG_1164.jpgIMG_1208.jpg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Ocean Grove (our "winter residence") is just a footbridge away from Asbury Park, as I'm sure you know! in the 2000s it started a great renaissance, which was put on hold by the recession in 2008. However, it's still percolating and it's really a great place to live now. I loved the cultural history, boardwalk, church we went to, and its walkability. I'm attaching a couple of pictures.

IMG_1211.jpgIMG_1209.jpgIMG_1164.jpgIMG_1208.jpg
    I love the wonder bar one!

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I love the wonder bar one!
    Yeah, that's an old vintage photo I took a picture of which was posted on a billboard on the boardwalk. DH and I ate there several times. We'd walk down to Wonderbar from church on Sunday and have a burger/veggie burger with fries for lunch. They were great!! And it was fun because they also had "Yappy Hour" for dogs--an area where the dogs could play on the weekend, so we would watch them and be vicarious dog owners for a while.

Asbury has a lot of charm, if you like that kind of charm.

Ocean Grove (our "winter residence") is just a footbridge away from Asbury Park, as I'm sure you know! in the 2000s it started a great renaissance, which was put on hold by the recession in 2008. However, it's still percolating and it's really a great place to live now. I loved the cultural history, boardwalk, church we went to, and its walkability.
    People-watching on the boardwalk while eating ice cream. Ahhhhh.... summer!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Asbury Park is now an up-and-coming hot spot. It was a bit creepy and desolate for quite a long time but is now thriving, with a luxury hotel and restaurants and clubs. And, of course, The Stone Pony.

If NJ wasn't so expensive, more people would stay here.

Creepy and desolate was definitely its charm--like time had abandoned it.

Thread Information