Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Another 40 Hours of Decluttering Using Flylady's Timer Method: Jan. 29-Feb. 29, 2020

Echase, that’s great! I took a huge picture and a bag of stuff to the thrift store.

I spent 10" yesterday going through a shelf in my quilting stash area. Out went 2 paper pieced patterns and the copies needed to complete the quilts. 1 set into the printer to use the other side. The other to a paper-piecing friend. A small stack of batik bits went into the bin that lives on that shelf. It houses my Fat Quarters and batik bits.

It doesn't sound like much but for me, it's wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    EJ: That is a great point, and I think activity that supports living in the now and looking to the future is definitely a plus.
    So true. I didn't really realize how much I was clinging to my past with all my clutter. It feels really good emotionally to let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by ejchase View Post
    So true. I didn't really realize how much I was clinging to my past with all my clutter. It feels really good emotionally to let it go.
    I admire this-- working on it, but in a tortoise-like fashion.

If not actually decluttering at the moment, I have put the motivation in place - scheduled donation pick-ups for both March and April!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

Everybody is doing such good stuff!

I spent another two hours in my office today so am now down to 9 boxes of clutter.

Knowing a colleague could really use the boxes once they're emptied has been strangely motivating, so I'm taking advantage of that.

I'm also realizing I have a LOT of work to do in my office. Dealing with the 18 boxes of clutter was the necessary first step, but I see now that once I get through the last 9 of them, I will need to finish decluttering the whole space and really figure out a place for everything and put everything in its place. I know that if I invest the time in doing that, it will really reduce the chances that it will get this cluttered again. AND I will be much happier at work with an organized office.

I'm estimating getting through the last 9 boxes and decluttering the rest of the office will take about 10 more hours which means less attention to my house in this batch of 40 hours, but I think I'm okay with that. Ever since I got this job I've been embarrassed to have people in my office, so it's time to face that and make it a space I feel good in.

I also think my decluttering at home has made my office decluttering so much easier. I'm so much less hesitant to throw stuff out than maybe I was three years ago.

New total of hours: 18.
    Last edited by ejchase; 3-6-20 at 11:24pm.

I've been reading some books on habit-forming, and one thing the research seems to say is that the best way to create a habit is to create a habit loop - a cue, craving, response, and reward according to the current book I'm reading. I realized that with my batches of 40 hours the reward of getting to come here and celebrate all my little baby steps forward is REALLY motivating for me. Yesterday when I was going through the boxes in my office, there were many times I wanted to quit, but I just kept thinking that if I stayed with it, I could tell all of you I was down to 9 boxes, and that totally kept me going.

So thank you thank you thank you thank you. These batches of 40 hours over the last three years have been so life-changing for me.

Woke up at 4 this morning and couldn't get back to sleep (menopause!), so I got up and did 1.5 more hours.

New total: 19.5.

Did another 30 minutes in my office at work to celebrate the end of classes for the week. Down to 7 boxes of clutter. New total of hours: 20.

EJ: Good for you making the most of your insomnia!

Thread Information