Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Another 40 Hours of Decluttering Using Flylady's Timer Method: Jan. 29-Feb. 29, 2020

Another 40 Hours of Decluttering Using Flylady's Timer Method: Jan. 29-Feb. 29, 2020

Hi All,

I'm a teacher who is on a reduced schedule for about four months a year, mid-December through mid-February and mid-June through mid-August. I also have a REALLY cluttered home. In the past, I've had some success with setting myself a goal of doing a certain number of hours of decluttering during my periods of reduced work. I set one overall goal (usually 40 hours), then chip away at it in smaller increments of time. Some days I aim for an hour; others for four hours (with breaks!). I basically use flylady's timer method described here, but with longer periods of time than 15 minutes:

http://www.flylady.net/d/getting-sta...ng-15-minutes/

Last summer, I stumbled a bit and didn't finish the 40 hours - but *did* finally finish them a couple of days ago.

In any case, since I started these batches of 40 hours of decluttering in winter of 2017, I've made a lot of progress. My home isn't perfect, but it is MUCH less cluttered than it was three years ago. And recording my progress here has really helped.

So today, I started another 40 hours which I hope to complete by Saturday, February 29. I made a big push today and completed four hours.

If anybody else wants to join in with a decluttering goal of their own for a certain number of hours, that would be great!

In any case, thanks for "listening" and for the encouragement so many of you have given me over the years.

Thanks so much for starting this 30 day thread. I am going to try to do one hour a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Thanks so much for starting this 30 day thread. I am going to try to do one hour a day.
    Fantastic!

Like others I keep a box in my closet for stuff to donate. Since I have been at it for so many years it’s not easy to find a bunch of stuff like it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Like others I keep a box in my closet for stuff to donate. Since I have been at it for so many years it’s not easy to find a bunch of stuff like it used to be.
    A glorious problem right?

Gard, it’s a great problem to have) Now if only DH would follow suit in the areas his stuff is confined to.

1/30: 1 hour, divided between shed, decluttering tools, organizing tools with new hanging system, and kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I dream of the day I get to this point.

Even though that's still a long way off for me, I definitely notice a lot of the stuff that was easy to declutter when I first began three years ago (e.g. junk mail that somehow ended up in odd piles in weird places, books and clothes I clearly was not going to read or wear again) is gone, and I'm getting better at getting rid of stuff that I don't love and have no good reason to keep.

Every time I make another push at 40 hours, I feel like I'm excavating my true self - getting rid of all the stuff that is meaningless to me and keeping what is most meaningful. In that sense, it really feels like a spiritual practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    1/30: 1 hour, divided between shed, decluttering tools, organizing tools with new hanging system, and kitchen.
    Awesome, Tybee.

I tackled the laundry room today - a space I have never bothered to declutter and organize since we moved into this house nine years ago.

The good news is I found a lot of stuff to toss or give away. But I also realized I have to buy some shelves and baskets to organize the things I'm keeping in there.

I did three hours, so my new total is 7.

Thread Information