Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Another 40 Hours of Decluttering Using Flylady's Timer Method: Jan. 29-Feb. 29, 2020

Gard, I am wondering do you have some nik/knacks and decorations on coffee/end tables? I have been to homes where people have none and they can clean super fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Gard, I am wondering do you have some nik/knacks and decorations on coffee/end tables? I have been to homes where people have none and they can clean super fast.
    We have a 36" square oak coffee table here in our family room. What's on it? Hand carved wood dish made by my oldest nephew, stone bookends-a gift from my sister years ago and in between, several books. 3 coasters made by a niece-fun photo decoupaged on each. That's it.

No end tables. We have 2 reclining love seats facing the glass wall, in an L shape and a recliner across the room.

I dust about every 2w. We're in a high mountain desert. It's as dusty day 1 as day 14 so I don't fuss about it.

I totally get the high desert dust thing. I am always learning from you and actually have less and less things to dust but more than you. In my living room I have a couple things on coffee table, 2 end tables and a buffet plus my tv stand. It used to be tons more.

I put the neutered boy goats out with the herd and the bucks in together because breeding season is over. Thus gives me one less stall to clean and delays having to go buy hay. It’s the kind of quick and easy job I tend to put off.

so I am up to two things. I am having trouble finding things/time/energy.

Went through packed box of stuff for new house and got rid of most of it and put the rest in another box, so decluttered one moving box full.
    Went through closet again and got rid of 2 pairs of black pants and a shirt that has seen better days.
    Current total 3/5/40

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I totally get the high desert dust thing. I am always learning from you and actually have less and less things to dust but more than you. In my living room I have a couple things on coffee table, 2 end tables and a buffet plus my tv stand. It used to be tons more.
    From age 10 until I moved out, dusting was one of my chores. Mom adored her knick/knacks and they had to be sparkly clean every single Saturday. I've never had end tables in the family room nor a bunch of chachkies although there were more 25y ago than now. To that end, sometimes Mom would gift me one because she couldn't stand it. I remember one particular and she was angry that I didn't love it. It hurt her feelings and I changed my tune to be gracious when things would arrive just to make her happy.

At the cabin as little as possible is on the floor. Instead of a table in the short hallway, we bought a chunk of gorgeous raw edge wood that hubby sanded/finished and a chunk of mahogany from which he made corbels. So the hall table is attached to wall and there we park purse/wallet/keys/change. In our bedroom-1 nightstand to hold the clock and 1 48" armoire w/1 drawer for clothes that live there. Hubster will be making side tables that attach to the wall (eventually ;-) From the beginning we've do all we can so that cleaning is quick when we arrive and it's truly relaxing. Living room: sofa/love, 2 side tables, 1 table made by hubsters' grandfather who died at age 50. It held our original tube TV that was replaced with the flat screen we purchased with the $600 Bush refund we received. It's our family joke-the Bush Christmas gift. and 2 thrifted hardwood rocking chairs-I always wanted those there to rock away our old age ;-) Dining table/4 chairs and 2 saddle style barstools at the kitchen counter. Guest room as 2 side tables, 1 small dresser and Mom's queen Anne sitting chair I just couldn't get rid of and no one else wanted it. I have a 3x6f (free) sewing table there as well and I use a dining chair for sewing. That's all the stuff we have in that 1250sf.

I could talk all day long about keeping "the stuff" life simple so that it consumes as little of my day as possible! I can honestly see me reducing stuff by another 1/3 over the next few years. As I approach 60 I see myself giving items from Mom to family members in the next generation, if they are interested. I already know where 4 are going! I've enjoyed them since 2007. It's time for others to enjoy them.

I have given my kids what they wanted already. Taking 2 boxes to the thrift store was inspiring and I intend to sweep through some closets and dressers again to see what else can go. 25 years ago I got rid of all the pictures on the wall and bought new ones. I am sick of a few of them and may not replace with anything. At one time I got rid of everything in my office closet and it’s full again. It’s small and not full of new things but rather things that were in the garage such as seasonal decorations. I also put a filing cabinet in the closet to get it out of my small office.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post

so I am up to two things. I am having trouble finding things/time/energy.
    Chicken Lady, your two things so far sound really good.

I can really relate to having less papers to grade. I’m tutoring homeschooled kids this year for a tidy sum, but the best part is, no papers, no outside work. I knew it always weighed heavy on me, be didn’t realize the full extent until I retired.

I’ve been working on that mind shift too- not just “get it done” but “is this necessary? Is there an easier way to do this?” I especially ask myself with the tasks I want to avoid.

Chicken Lady, good for you for getting started.

On Sunday through Tuesday, I was mildly under the weather, so I didn't do much except order some things to help me organize the things left in the laundry room. I had to do some measuring and thinking about it, though, so I'll count it as 30 minutes all told. I'm really excited about the changes - think everything in there will be much more clearly organized now.

Soo ... to continue the true confessions I've been making here about the seriousness of my hoarding tendencies, I am announcing that as of this morning, I had 18 boxes of clutter in my office at school. I know. Embarrassing. BUT after procrastinating all morning, I came in and tackled them for two hours, which was a huge step for me. The boxes have been there since I moved into this office in 2017, I think, and as with the boxes in my hallway at home, I just got paralyzed in the face of them and did nothing.

I feel so happy I did two hours though and would actually like to keep going, but I can't - errands to run.

Nevertheless, I filled up a trash can and cleaned out two of the 18 boxes and now I'm really excited to face the rest.

I'm counting the office decluttering as part of my 40 hours because the office is just another cluttered space in my life that causes me stress.

New total: 9.5.

Ejchase, that makes perfect sense about the office. Good start!

thanks all for the support.

i have a rat problem in my barn. Today on the way home from work I bought two metal trash cans to put my feed in. I left them in the car because it’s 35 degrees and pouring rain, but buying them was a step. I’m calling it 3.

Thread Information