Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Another 40 Hours of Decluttering Using Flylady's Timer Method: Jan. 29-Feb. 29, 2020

Quote Originally Posted by ejchase View Post
    I know it's hard for "normies" to imagine why it would take so long for me to do this, but I've just always been a packrat, always had a tendency to accumulate too much and had a hard time getting rid of what I don't need. Also, I realize as I do this, that a lot of times I've just never thought through how to organize certain kinds of stuff ("Where should I keep the resusable shopping bags? The small paper bags sometimes good for lunches? The plastic bags I need for laundry when I'm traveling?"), so I am slowly developing that skill finally. This whole process has helped. And it has done wonders for my mental health. I've had such shame about my clutter for literally decades, so finally dealing with it has felt very empowering.
    Suggestions:
    Reusable shopping bags: I keep 3 in the hubster's truck and 6 in mine. When I empty them, I take them straight back to the car. I arrived at these numbers through time getting rid of any extras based on never needing more.

Plastic bags for travel laundry: when we get home, I air those bags after emptying. After 2 d they go into the suitcases we used them in. Always there when we take the next trip. We have exactly how many we need.

Small paper bags: I have a medium sized handled paper bag in the bottom of the pantry cupboard. In this goes bags for lunches. When they are shot, hubster trashes the plastic and recycles the paper.

Emptied a laptop bag then sorted all the paperwork (about 2 grocery bags worth) into shred and scan then shred. Shredded everything this morning. Can't remember why I decided to stuff a bunch of old paperwork into a laptop bag in 2016. Needed to use the bag to carry my laptop, so the junk needed to go. Found my digital camera, pack of unopened batteries, a set of keys, and a bunch of buttons. Have to check the batteries and if they don't work dispose of them. Keeping the camera and will see if the keys work.

today so far, 1/40

So, the thing I did today was withdraw my request for an additional class next year. That won’t make a difference until August, but it will make my schedule better next year. I will take a small but noticeable pay cut (and lose some perks like paid lunch because I won’t be “full time” anymore) but I won’t start until 1:00 on tu/th and I will have noticeably fewer papers to check.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Suggestions:
    Reusable shopping bags: I keep 3 in the hubster's truck and 6 in mine. When I empty them, I take them straight back to the car. I arrived at these numbers through time getting rid of any extras based on never needing more.

Plastic bags for travel laundry: when we get home, I air those bags after emptying. After 2 d they go into the suitcases we used them in. Always there when we take the next trip. We have exactly how many we need.

Small paper bags: I have a medium sized handled paper bag in the bottom of the pantry cupboard. In this goes bags for lunches. When they are shot, hubster trashes the plastic and recycles the paper.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    So, the thing I did today was withdraw my request for an additional class next year. That won’t make a difference until August, but it will make my schedule better next year. I will take a small but noticeable pay cut (and lose some perks like paid lunch because I won’t be “full time” anymore) but I won’t start until 1:00 on tu/th and I will have noticeably fewer papers to check.
    Wow, good for you, Chicken Lady. I'm a teacher too, so I know what a big deal this is. It's hard to turn down work, but often the best thing for our mental health.

Quote Originally Posted by hana View Post
    Emptied a laptop bag then sorted all the paperwork (about 2 grocery bags worth) into shred and scan then shred. Shredded everything this morning. Can't remember why I decided to stuff a bunch of old paperwork into a laptop bag in 2016. Needed to use the bag to carry my laptop, so the junk needed to go. Found my digital camera, pack of unopened batteries, a set of keys, and a bunch of buttons. Have to check the batteries and if they don't work dispose of them. Keeping the camera and will see if the keys work.

today so far, 1/40
    Fantastic! I once found in my decluttering a bag of brand new bras. I had bought them two weeks before finding out I was pregnant and then didn't want to risk stretching them so tucked them out of sight. When I found them again, I was the mom of a toddler and pretty broke, so the timing was perfect.

It's fun to find things that you can still use.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    EJ: It is wonderful that you've made so much progress! Developing systems for storing and organizing will almost guarantee your success in the future. The one other critical skill is to be very conscious of what you bring into your home in the first place.
    Go EJ!!!
    Thank you, rosarugosa. You are always so supportive, and it means a lot.

Yeah, not letting stuff come in is still hard for me, but MUCH easier than it was when I started this process. I have a much better idea now than I did before of what I will actually use and/or enjoy and what I won't.

It’s a process for sure)

Spent half an hour on digital decluttering and stuff in the kitchen and bedroom,
    New total 2.5

Sorted through sewing patterns and books from the spare room. Put everything on the local Buy Nothing group and anything left over Friday morning goes to the thrift store.

Current total 2.3/40

Thread Information