Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homero Gomez Gonzalez, defender of Monarch Butterfly habitat, R.I.P.

Homero Gomez Gonzalez, defender of Monarch Butterfly habitat, R.I.P.

The winter terminus of the incredible migration of Monarch Butterflies is an area of forested hilltops in the Mexican state of Michoacan.
    Homero Gomez Gonzales was a logger in that area, who realized that without a sanctuary for the Monarch Butterflies, logging would soon destroy their habitat.
    Gomez Gonzales preserved an area, the Santuario El Rosario Ocampo Michoacán,and for a few years he promoted tourism rather than logging.
    On January 13 Gomez Gonzales went missing. Now his body has been recovered from a well near the sanctuary.

That is so sad. I saw the documentary about the Monarch butterflies a couple months ago - made by a young woman. Can't remember the names, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mr Gonzales was the gentleman in the documentary.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

RIP Homero Gomez Gonzales.

Oh how sad! The Orchard at Altapass is near our vacation home and they are part of the Monarch migration. (Before I went there to pick apples one fall and saw their Monarch info, I was unaware they DID migrate).

They are a beautiful creature.

Heartbreaking and so short-sighted by those who oppose his efforts.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

So sad!

There are a lot of unsung every day heroes that you never hear much about. I guess it's the way of the world that this gets back page coverage and sports figure demises are front page for days on end. Both are unfortunate, but it seems out of line. Hopefully there are others who will carry on his work.

I just take it for granted that he was probably killed for his work. Which will discourage some others from continuing it of course. But some are brave, unsung heroes.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I just take it for granted that he was probably killed for his work. Which will discourage some others from continuing it of course. But some are brave, unsung heroes.
    Absolutely. It's horrible. Off the top of my head I think of Dian Fossey, but there are many that lost their lives in the name of environmental / wildlife justice

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ental_killings

May his death not be in vain
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Yes--you have to be a willing martyr for the environment because greed is toxic to humans and the planet.

Thread Information