Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sand and gravel pits

Sand and gravel pits

More than once, we have found ourselves looking at houses to buy that are next to gravel pits.

We have found one that has been on market 3 years--3 years! and husband wants to buy it yesterday. I am nervous about the sand and gravel pits that surround it. Does anyone have any wisdom to share?

If you or your DH have allergies, it may be wise to look further into the environmental impacts:

https://www.ewg.org/research/sandsto...ca-outdoor-air
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

My first thought is DUST!
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

To expand on the environmental thing, it probably depends a lot on if the pit is active or inactive. There are a lot of impact reports on the internet if you google it, written by different states.

Examples:
    http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/lands_m...gravelpits.pdf
    http://www.csp2.org/files/reports/En...Mexico.doc.pdf

So, I'm not saying don't buy the house, I just think you need to do a little research that's relevant to your situation.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I agree with Catherine. We have one exclusive development that was built around a disused pit and it is now considered waterfront property. I am actually more concerned with traffic and dust in an open pit operation just like living next to a landfill. More info needed.

These are seen as prime for landfill use especially since there is a huge demand for landfill space. I would also be concerned about shifting soil stability. There is a reason for being on the market for 3 years so I am assuming others have researched and made some serious discoveries. I would query the water table level and watershed drainage as well as any check into any oil spills.

Ask your DH if he wants your savings to be unavailable for 3 + years should you wish to sell?
    What does the community's official plan call for over the longterm?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

You have asthma so it’s a bad idea. There’s a reason it hasn’t sold. You don’t want to be in their position someday.

Thanks guys. They are active. I do have severe asthma, TT and Sad-Eyed lady, and dust sets me off. Thank you Catherine, for the links. I am also worried about the watertable, razz and sweetana. I also wonder why it has been for sale for over 900 days!

I only have moderate asthma and I couldn’t handle it. Plus it must be noisy if active.

I grew up in a neighborhood that was next to a sand and gravel pit. The biggest take away I can give is that it was a little noisy. at times. You can hear the trucks and equipment. Though it did become background noise eventually and you stop noticing it as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    More than once, we have found ourselves looking at houses to buy that are next to gravel pits.

We have found one that has been on market 3 years--3 years! and husband wants to buy it yesterday. I am nervous about the sand and gravel pits that surround it. Does anyone have any wisdom to share?

Thread Information