Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Shopping in your own house

Thanks, I know I need more than one as I have a knitting bag for projects on the go, out of the house.I finally figured out to use a paper clip to keep them together.

I have been on the hunt for something to store tapers. They’re in a brass basket now, but it gets dusty and I want to sell the basket, as I have hardly anything brass anymore. I’d finally decided the only way I was going to find something I wanted for a $ I’d pay was to buy a tabletop planter. I haven’t done it as our current financial position is up in the air, suddenly, and it isn’t food, heat, etc.

But it occurred to me that I have a paper file drawer which will probably fit them! I know it’s empty, because I set it aside for the April flea market. Obviously, I’m not using it otherwise — If it works, they will be put away where they will go permanently. The basket was atop a cabinet, along with other things which I want to change, displace or replace. And, finances permitting, I’ll buy a wire baskets or a planter to store these at some point. I’ve given up the idea of finding something not flammable and closed, all too expensive or ugly!
    ———

This only sort of worked, the file drawer isn’t long enough. However, I put what fit in and found a way to put the whole batch into a shallow cabinet. So, I’m storing the same stuff, but less visible clutter! Not what I ultimately want, but it will do for now.
    Last edited by NewGig; 2-13-20 at 8:48am.

I just stick tapers and other candles in a kitchen drawer, but this kitchen has a lot of drawers.

DH uses Dr. Bonner's peppermint soap. We dilute it a lot, so only use a little, but of course we do run out now and then. I had it on the shopping list for a few weeks but had an occasion to go into the back of the bathroom cabinet and lo and behold was a diluted bottle AND a brand new one. No new bottle needed for us. Hurrah! Less stuff to buy, less stuff to store, and more using what's already here.

——-
    Part my dehoarding this place is that I decided to finally get organized! To that end I’ve been filing clippings to get rid of the piles of them... I’ve been indexing them, culling them, and taping what I do keep in composition notebooks. I’ve got a bunch of these, but thought I needed more. Started clearing out my office closet and found a stack of them. Hurrah!

in the process, I’ve also culled stickers, a notebook with most of the pages missing, various clippings, magazines, ends of notebook paper, scrapbooking paper, pencils and binders!
    -------
    My latest success with this is an herb rack. What I have used in the past is a coat rack attached to one of the kitchen's beams. Works fine, except I have to get up/down a step ladder to access the area 2x a year or more to put up the herbs and take them down. Decided I wanted something which hangs, and maybe can be lowered, so no up and down step ladders for me! Had IDed one at Target, $20 and kept thinking about whether it was really worth it? I researched again today and found an image of what looked like a modified embroidery hoop. I have a bunch of hoops I'm not using at the moment. Decided that instead of buying something now, I'm going to play with the hoops and some heavy duty string and see if I can't construct a rack to use in lieu of the coat rack on the beam!
    Last edited by NewGig; 2-22-20 at 1:57pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I just stick tapers and other candles in a kitchen drawer, but this kitchen has a lot of drawers.
    Ditto! I have a small shallow box in the back of drawer and all tapers are there.

OMGoodness! I just did this today- moved a stack of dog towels to make room for the grooming tools, and found a brand new bottle of ear wash! Took that off my Amazon order lickers-split!

Thread Information