Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shopping in your own house

Shopping in your own house

I have been looking for a replacement crockpot. They’re not hard to find at the thrift stores I just haven’t hit a thrift store At the right time. I missed one a couple months ago. Didn’t get there fast enough. Then yesterday I saw a beautiful one it was red,it was cute, but it was very big. Didn’t want a big one.

So we are in Hermann and I opened a cupboard door and found – you guessed it, a crockpot. Apparently I outfitted this Herman house with a crockpot and forgot about it.I have an Insta pot that stay up on the counter so I see it. I guess an instapot functions as a crockpot as well, right?

IL, that’s funny! When my crockpot died I bought a big one to make my homemade spaghetti and lasagna sauce. Then I make it once and freeze a bunch. Also do stew that way. I have never used a instapot.

Yes, the IP works as a crockpot. Had a couple of issues with it and so we are really careful making sure it gets to the correct temps. Got rid of our crock pot.

I have not fully accepted the Insta pot. I regularly cant close the damn lid. I think this may be why it ended ip at the thrift store. After reviewing a You Tube video about how to close the lid and seeing a comment that we have to graduate from M.I.T. to understand how, i was ready to toss it. Again.

But DH showed me where the seal was loose, sigh. So I ran it one more time. It worked, but this Insta Pot is on borrowed time I think.i just want a regular rice cooker.

I love that, shopping in my own house. We had a stereo receiver conk out (it was from a South Carolina garage sale and was from the 70's). We walked into our storage area and there was another receiver, good to go, from the 80's. Up and running in 20 minutes, no shopping involved.

If I am correct a instapot is like a pressure cooker so no thanks to potential accidents.

I haven't used my IP as a crockpot, because I don't like waiting for hours for food to be cooked, but I've read that you should use the "High" setting. I guess low is the "keep warm" mode.

I think you need to "warm up" to your IP.

Mine cooks rice perfectly. As well as an infinite variety of other foods.

I'm not a methodical M.I.T.-type person at all, but my IP and I have bonded to the degree that I'm still using my five year old Lux model, instead of unboxing a newer one I bought on Prime Day. I use it nearly daily, if I cook.

ETA--the chances of an IP accident are infinitesimally low, due to something like eleven safeguards built in, but I normally just fill it and forget it until it beeps anyway. It's not like I stand over it in hungry anticipation.

My old pressure cooker had three different systems designed to prevent the apocryphal "blew the chicken into the ceiling" failure. My new one has two. That's still enough for me. I am in my kitchen or within sight of it when I'm pressure cooking something. I have never had a mess or an explosion from my PC and my mother, who has been using a PC for 40 years, hasn't, either. If a person is a little attentive to things that are "off" -- like looking at the sealing ring upon each use and replacing it if it's inflexible or crumbling, or noticing that steam is not being emitted as usual -- using a PC is no more dangerous than a pot on a burner that boils over. You have plenty of time to prevent impending disaster.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Someone I know had a accident. I like with the crockpot you can leave.

I had an old-time pressure cooker. I didn't have a disaster, even when I cooked barley in it, but it was way too fiddly and not versatile. Let's hear it for progress.

I probably wouldn't leave with food cooking in any appliance, but that's just me. It amuses me that of all the kitchen gadgets I have had, I've never considered a crockpot--the closest I came was a Daisy thermostat-controlled Multi-pot that I only used occasionally for frying.

Thread Information