Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shopping in your own house

Oh I'd definitely get an IP over a crockpot these days. I have neither, yes well I really have few kitchen gadgets.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Hm. I have a waterless cooker, a predecessor of the pressure cooker. I also have a pressure cooker. Got rid of the crockpot when we got the new stove as it has a functioning simmer burner.

I use the simmer burner a fair amount. The waterless cooker and the pressure cooker about once a year, just enough to keep me from culling them.
    Last edited by NewGig; 2-2-20 at 10:26pm.

I have been leaving the crockpot when not home for decades. We have had 25 people for dinner so need a lot of spaghetti sauce. I did it all the time when working.

I bought my IP when the only size available was 6 qt. I generally cook for a platoon. But I recently got a smaller model, so maybe that will encourage some restraint.

I use the crockpot weekly but I’m not gonna say I’m a huge fan of it. But recently we did cook down a bunch of garden tomatoes and it was painless and in doing so we ended up with very very rich spaghetti sauce that we both remarked on how good and different it was it was from our usual spaghetti sauce that we seldom make because it takes a lot of time.

I have two crockpots: A big one that I use for making beef bone broth and soups that both DH and I like, and a small one that I can throw a few veggies and some broth in and make a soup for me.

I am interested in the instant pot, but I hate to buy it if I still have the crockpot. And I only do the cooking <20% of the time, so there's no great need
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

When my old pressure cooker went to the scrap heap in the sky (well, recycling bin) I considered an Instant Pot, but only briefly. Keep them in new seals and stovetop pressure cookers can last for decades. Manage not to break the ceramic insert and a slow cooker will go for decades. I am unsure an Instant Pot, with its electronic controls, will last quite that long. But that means I keep track of two devices, not one. That's my choice for now. No issue with anyone who will use every aspect of an Instant Pot; it's just not for me.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    When my old pressure cooker went to the scrap heap in the sky (well, recycling bin) I considered an Instant Pot, but only briefly. Keep them in new seals and stovetop pressure cookers can last for decades. Manage not to break the ceramic insert and a slow cooker will go for decades. I am unsure an Instant Pot, with its electronic controls, will last quite that long. But that means I keep track of two devices, not one. That's my choice for now. No issue with anyone who will use every aspect of an Instant Pot; it's just not for me.
    That has been my choice as well. I have had a crock pot for years, added a smaller and then a larger pressure cooker. Well stated, Steve. I also use the large pressure cooker as my 4-quart canner which is great.
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I'm still using my original IP five years in, probably five times a week. Being that it's a modern appliance, it will die sooner or later, but I've got more than my money's worth.

I love an appliance that lasts--I have a 35-year old Krups coffee grinder and a similarly antique West Bend Poppery that I wouldn't give up for anything, but I also wouldn't choose an item merely for durability that doesn't meet my needs. In my experience there's no comparison between my grandmother's pressure cooker and today's electronic models.

We are ridiculous! See the title of this thread “shopping in your own house,”

Today DH found a rice maker in our attic. It had clearly been used. Now that I see it I have a vague memory of grabbing a rice maker of a specific kind at the thrift store to keep as a backup. During our marriage we’ve gone through 3-4 rice cookers.

so according to my post #4 on this thread from a few days ago I want a rice cooker in Hermann. I shopped my own house and found one.

I wonder what other insane stupid things are ip in that attic? I have been cleaning it out for the past 8 years and I though I knew everything there that was in my jurisdiction ro toss.

Thread Information