Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: February Purge

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    i just went into our bedroom to make the bed (I'm Dutch, we air bed linens every day). I was looking at what is on the walls. Small "decoupage plaques" that were from a long past GF and have been hanging there likely since we moved here in 1991. 2 are in the thrift store box I emptied/delivered yesterday. 1 space will remain empty. The other? I moved a ceramic musical note there that was on a wall with the base and treble cleft ceramic items. These were 3 things on my Christmas list decades ago and I still love them.

MINUS 2!
    Gardnr: I am intrigued by this. What do you mean by "I'm Dutch, we air bed linens every day?" Do you air them outside? I am 25% Dutch descent, so I need to know, lol.

Still sick so confining myself inside. While the items haven't left the house yet, I feel like I need to have accomplished "something". LOL. I've culled about 10 books from my bookcase. Went through my bead craft bins and culled out stuff I will never use into a huge ziplock bag, emptying two small bins totally. The donation corner is filling up again so will try to call this week for a pickup date and get an exact count. Will pull the two different sprouting kits from the pantry for the yard sale pile, as I'm using canning jars instead of the plastic. Might be able to slip one or two more unused coffee mugs out of the cabinet as well.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Gardnr: I am intrigued by this. What do you mean by "I'm Dutch, we air bed linens every day?" Do you air them outside? I am 25% Dutch descent, so I need to know, lol.
    When we still lived there, Mom said "every morning the windows opened and the linen stack was literally thrown over the sill to air out.

In the US we lived in hot SoCal. So bed linens are thrown back over the foot to air out for at least an hour. In my case, until I return to our room which sometimes isn't until evening!

I was hanging hubby's clothes last night in my "home wanderings" aka, couldn't sit still

Found some super dusty shoes/slippers on the floor behind hubster's pants. 2 slipper pair, cleaned and in the thrift store box. 1 pair trashed shoes (beyond repair), into the garbage can.

There were also 4 canvas bags from past education seminars he attended in DC. I didn't ask about those, but I will today. He has never used them, but the dude is a keeper of stuff so I must tread lightly.

I chopped up a piece of very crappy fabric and put it in the "doggie bed bag" for my friend. I'm lucky, no fiber goes into garbage since I found her!

Attention RNs: Why is it, I have retained text books from school? Why are they difficult to get rid of? I got rid of more than half years ago. But: med/surg, Peds, Nsg Research.........

Trash? Recycle bin with covers removed? I retired after 39y so they are not exactly current?

Apparently I need permission? Or pushing? Or a therapy session?

Yppej
    Plastic bags up from the supermarket. Although I am now using reusable bags I still have a lot of these.

Thanks, Gardnr. I am of the "beds must be made every day" school of thought. I had read that it is good to fold the covers back to air the bed out before making it, so that is what we do and I make the bed after coffee and showering.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Thanks, Gardnr. I am of the "beds must be made every day" school of thought. I had read that it is good to fold the covers back to air the bed out before making it, so that is what we do and I make the bed after coffee and showering.
    I've read it's best to not make it, gets more air that way, and less dust mites. Be lazy, it's good for you (well it's good for you in this case, some housework was just created to keep women busy I think) You can make it when you go to bed.
    Trees don't grow on money

I kept my nursing texts until I passed the NCLEX and worked for about a year. Then I realized that I never used them and they were quickly becoming outdated. So I made one last trip to the college bookstore to sell them.

After only one year, about half of them had zero resale value. So I sold half, and donated the other half to a program that supported nursing school students who couldn’t afford new books.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I kept my nursing texts until I passed the NCLEX and worked for about a year. Then I realized that I never used them and they were quickly becoming outdated. So I made one last trip to the college bookstore to sell them.

After only one year, about half of them had zero resale value. So I sold half, and donated the other half to a program that supported nursing school students who couldn’t afford new books.
    I sold back what they would take after NCLEX as well. Sadly, Nsg school wanted the newest book every dang year! It sucked because, as you know, there was no more expensive text at the time than Nsg and we were both in school FT so $ was super tight!

Sigh...............

Thread Information