Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: February Purge

February Purge

I took 55 items to Goodwill today. Felt so good.

That’s great. I have to stay home tomorrow for a repairman so I intend to look around to see what else I can add to the box for the thrift store.

Feb 03
    I am still going with 3 items a day. I have got to the point where
    there is not a lot hanging around but, I still find stuff when I look in
    areas I think are good.
    ---1 more pencil...not sure the last time I used a regular pencil
    (I like and have mechanical ones)
    --1 scarf in the garbage (used for dusting first....lol)
    It was wool and had a bunch of holes but, it was like 40 years old.
    It was pretty and I loved it but, of course would not have worn it,
    so why was I keeping it.
    --4 scarves to Dd , colours and styles she will wear.
    --1---roll of plastic that went with a Food Saver, not sure why I have kept it. Donate
    That is all for now
    You are right ejchase it does fell good!
    Total to date 7 Items.

I found yet another flower vase to put in the thrift store box. (5 now).

I went through my wallet and took out all the little pieces of paper that have been there for years collecting names of books to read. I put every book available via library on my want-to-read list. I put 1 in my Amazon cart (a used copy for 18% of the new price). Some simply won't be read as I won't buy more than the one. All papers now in the recycle bin.

Every tiny declutter matters when you're done with the big stuff! Never stop :-)

Got rid of a bag of clothes and miscellany. Got three email inboxes empty. I like to keep them empty, but things had been creeping in as I did not deal with everything on that day, and got behind. Now they are clear.

I have been working on pulling all of the paperwork together. This is data for websites, cleaning plans,articles, parts of a novel. And 100s of clippings. I started this last week. It will take me a while yet. Our paper bin has been full the last 2 weeks...

Other ideas: we decided to limit our dump runs to once a week, unless it’s absolutely necessary! I found I was thinking of going to the dump as culling things, and it isn’t, unless you’re culling things! This has the added benefit of less wear and tear on the cars too.

Made myself go through the house and find 15 items to purge because I bought 3 last weekend.

DH and I came up with a plan to move forward re the clutter.

We have many boxes of books, no surprise. The cooking, gardening, computer, romance, and photo books have homes, but that’s it. Considering I sold genre fiction for a living, now edit it, that’s not much... the plan has always been to line a hall with floor to ceiling bookcases.

We decided that we’d buy cheap bookcase, we were looking at some at an auction we didn’t buy, put them up, fill them, and then I could cull the overage. That’s a new idea, I’ve been shuffling books around in boxes for a long, long time!

It’s impossible to decide to keep copy 1 or copy 2 if you don’t know there’s 2 copies. It’s difficult to decide to keep book a but not b, if you don’t know book a’s condition is far better than b’s. In our Florida home, I had floor to ceiling bookcases which ran along the two side walls of our great room. Worked. We have nothing like that here, space wise. There’s more square footage to the house, but it’s not built the same way...
    Last edited by NewGig; 2-4-20 at 9:51am. Reason: Clarity

I just keep wandering around our home thinking "why is that here?" and answering the question. This exercise keeps adding little things to the thrift store box.

I'm enjoying this exercise!

I went through my big entertaining serving dishes and now the most we have over is 15 people versus 30 I found 6 more large pieces can go. Plus last year I only had a large group over twice versus 6x’s a year and as we age it will probably keep declining.

Here is progress of shed storage-- this is rake and some shovel/fork storage plus hoe storage:

PART_1580060844118 (1).jpgshed org.jpg

Looks great and the dog is beautiful!

Thread Information