Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Healthy choices/weight accountability

check this one out, IL:

https://cooktoria.com/mackerel-patties/

I think with Lent coming, this should be a good time for recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    The package of feozen anchovies at the asian food mart had no nutrition label, so i skipped over buying it. In the back of my mind I thought surely anchovies have a lot of vitamin D! I’ll probably buy some next time around.

Jane, I have fish sauce in my refrigerator and I use it, but I just looked at the nutrition label and it doesn’t impart vitamin D to us, it has 0%.
    Yeah, that's why I like cod liver oil...And vitamin D perles.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    check this one out, IL:

https://cooktoria.com/mackerel-patties/

I think with Lent coming, this should be a good time for recipes.
    sorry, but mackerel patties remind me far too much of the hideous salmon patties my mother used to serve us, made canned salmon with cracker and eggs, so disgusting.

The last time I remember buying a can of mackerel was when I was trying to lure an elusive feral-ish cat into a trap. Everything else had failed but that mackerel got her in.

I found my experiment of frozen whole mackerel to be interesting, dont know if I will repeat it. Easier to go to the store and buy fresh salmon which I can afford, and now that I’m retired I have time to cook it correctly and carefully.

I just yesterday bought a couple lbs of ground turkey and cooked it up into tomato bathed dishes to freeze. But now as I look at the package, it is only 85% lean which is no better than ground beef for low calorie counting. Crap.

IL, my mom’s salmon patties were the best. It’s the only time I would eat salmon.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    DH jokes about how many cans of sardines I have purchased that sat in the pantry for months because I thought I would eat them (for the nutritional value) but couldn't bring myself to do it. My father loved them and ate them all the time.

I do love anchovies, though. On pizza, in salads, whatever.

When I got back from Japan, I vowed to figure out how to have Japanese breakfasts, which feature lots of fish, usually simple poached or grilled small portions. Haven't done it yet.
    I have quite the collection of canned sardines too. It appears I like the idea of eating them more than the actual eating of them. I did make a quasi-puttanesca thing once that was quite good: sardines, olives, chopped tomatoes, capers and olive oil, and then I ate it with a salad.

I make puttanesca but I use anchovies. I like fish, but sardines, um yea maybe like the idea of eating them more than actually eating them, canned herring is better. I would never microwave any fish, no it doesn't work ...
    Trees don't grow on money

You all are making me want to rush to the store to buy amchovies!

Meanwhile I’m contemplating bookmarking this section for when I need to reduce my appetite...��anchovies.

forgot my lunch. Ate some chocolate hearts from the teacher treats instead. Healthy dinner - high protein pasta and sugar free sauce, followed by a little ice cream. Swam a few extra laps tonight. The swimming felt good.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I make puttanesca but I use anchovies. I like fish, but sardines, um yea maybe like the idea of eating them more than actually eating them, canned herring is better. I would never microwave any fish, no it doesn't work ...
    Canned Pickled herring in cream sauce, lovely! Pretty high in calories methinks.

Weighed in last night
    Down 1/2 lb from last week...total of 2 lbs in 3 weeks
    I guess I will have to step it up to lose faster.
    But, Jane you are right as long as I am losing and not gaining
    I am on the right track...Danna

Thread Information