Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Healthy choices/weight accountability

CL, I bet you are right about hunger signals starting as soon as it starts burning fat. Hmm.
    "Maybe you could lie to your body by filling your stomach with something super low calorie."
    That is a good suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    On the subject of diets and weight loss... I have tried WW 4 times, and it didn’t work for me at all, I gained weight and was stressed and grumpy, trying to follow plans and suggestions, while avoiding allergens. Plus there was just too much focus to processed foods for me.

Fast forward to just a little over a month ago. I stumbled into the practice of intermittent fasting while I was whiling away cold rainy days browsing online, snuggled with dogs on the couch in late December. I decided to give it a try, couldn’t hurt, and I really need to loose some weight. Got surprisingly positive results, the biggest — my craving for caffeine has completely disappeared!

Basically, every 3 or 4 days, I don’t eat from dinner until dinner the next day. Now I have moved my dinner from 6:30ish up to 5ish. In about 5.5 weeks, I’ve lost 14 lbs. plus I have plenty of energy and I’m feeling much better. The key for me is fasting on a day I will be busy. I’m saving time and money, and losing weight. I’m thrilled. Way better start to the new year than I could have planned.
    Amazing how well it works. I originally addressed hunger by eating low carb, which reduces insulin output and allows you to switch easily to fat-burning, and then segued into IF, which allows more food flexibility while providing similar benefits. I love that it's a money and time saver, as well as boosting autophagy, and I also like that it doesn't require following a lot of rules. I generally fast 20 hours or so a day, but sometimes do an extended fast. This seems very natural, and doesn't make me feel like I'm being punished, as reducing diets always have.

I am doing pretty good during my week that K. is gone. Yesterday on errand day I ate the apple I brought while sitting in traffic (a lot of times I bring apples places but don't end up eating them as a "whole" thing - at home I prefer to cut them into slices) but it was good and it hit the spot. I also had some leftover salad sitting in the car after another errand. All in all, I did not buy any snacks during "town" day even though I was at the grocery store. I bought a lot of vegetables, then went home and made a quasi vegetarian chili and used up a lot of bits and pieces that needed to leave the fridge. This is totally an old SiouxzQ. way of cooking. Now I have leftovers for three days, and a bunch of plain yogurt to snack on, homemade hummus to make (now that I found a grocery store that actually sells tahini - when I lived in Michigan there was a Middle-Eastern grocery store every few miles, so it was easy. Not so much out here in the desert)!

I just had a bowl of oatmeal, blueberries, a few raisins and walnuts, plus a dash of peanut butter and cinnamon, and to top it off, a splash of almond milk. I dare not count the calories in that but it keeps me going for a long time.

Remember, each day a new beginning!

Any effort is a good effort! I would imagine that living a good distance from more abundant food choices would complicate matters. It was one of the primary reasons we retired to a big city as trying new food and cooking is one of our favorite pastimes.

I want to be the way I used to be, definitely used to be eat to live like Catherine said. All this diet talk and the Noom app making me obsessed with food and eating more, I think.

I never want to "eat to live." I still have taste buds, and I'm gonna use 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I want to be the way I used to be, definitely used to be eat to live like Catherine said. All this diet talk and the Noom app making me obsessed with food and eating more, I think.
    I don't always eat to live, I eat emotionally sometimes, I like the food I make, but there is nothing unhealthy about liking the taste of food uh.

But that's what diet talk does for me absolutely, thinking about weight is actually a trigger for eating more (and no not out of hunger or anything, an emotional trigger). So mostly I avoid it, and this thread for the most part, other people can do what they will and maybe it works for them, but I know that's a fast path to really self-destructive thinking for me, and most ironically of all, to further levels of self-destructive eating as well. It has a certain amount of temptation I guess, oh I'm going to go on the blah de blah diet, but it just leads nowhere good.

It helps that my weight is ok from a health perspective, not considered overweight, doctors are not on my case, but it doesn't mean I look like a movie actress, an idealized image, have no extra fat, no cellulite. Pfft please. I'm not that fit, I'm not that disciplined, I have some fat already. But only a few behaviors are actually unhealthy, emotional eating, and restaurant eating maybe ha - that's what I think I do that is unhealthy. Oh and a few foods just are triggers. Everything else, eh obsessing on it just leads down down down ...
    Trees don't grow on money

If I am hungry and have used all my calories I eat a bowl of lettuce with croutons and lemon on it. It’s filling with hardly no calories.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I don't always eat to live, I eat emotionally sometimes, I like the food I make, but there is nothing unhealthy about liking the taste of food uh.

But that's what diet talk does for me absolutely, thinking about weight is actually a trigger for eating more (and no not out of hunger or anything, an emotional trigger). So mostly I avoid it, and this thread for the most part, o ...
    I think yours is an eminently healthy approach. Dieting is a modern anomaly, and talking about it can be triggering or deadly dull, depending.

If I felt good, I wouldn’t care about my weight. I’d care a little, but, for example, I do not have good hair. It is scraggly - different amounts of curl in the grey and brown and it won’t stay braided or pulled up, and the goats are always taking bites out of it. It rarely looks attractive. But it is functional. I can pull it back and get on with my life. I do not waste time or energy trying to fix it with styling and color or fancy cuts or whatever. It is hair. I can make it look attractive enough for limited times when needed. Visually, my aging body is compatible with my hair. But the weight of my body is imparting it’s functionality. So, that is partly why I’m trying to focus on changing my habits. I figure better eating and exercise should make it work better even if it doesn’t look better.

Hot cereal with honey and grapefruit for breakfast. Banana and thick slice of rosemary bread for lunch. One cookie after school. Lentils with peppers over rice for dinner. Blueberries for dessert. Did yoga this morning.

Thread Information