Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Healthy choices/weight accountability

My 66 yo art teacher has shed about 50 lbs since I saw her last year. Weight watchers. I guess it all comes down to iron will motivation but I have never been able to follow a strict regime/diet of any kind and be successful at it. At some point, my eating motto became all things in moderation so over time that has worked for me. It is such an individual thing but if I mix carbs with protein and/or fat of some sort, I don't feel hungry again for a while. Thick cut oatmeal with blueberries and nuts every other morning. Olive oil scrambled eggs with some sort of greens mixed on other mornings. Or maybe peanut butter or avocado on sprouted bread toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Iris lilies,

I have friends who have done WW, and from them I have learned that it works really well for some people, but I am not the right personality type.

whole grain cereal has lots of nutrition and makes me feel full.

thank you danna! Resist that junk food!

i am going to need more focus on the behavior than the weight. I am eating carrots for lunch and then I am going to go to a great class I am taking, where I get busy and not hungry. My big challenges today will be not eating a free cookie when I stop at the grocery store and not snacking if I get home before dinner is ready.

also, I need to fit in at least 30 minutes of exercise.
    And resisting the cookie, how can it be any good if it’s from the grocery store? Grocery store cookies are Crap and not worth the calories. That is what I tell myself. But I will admit sugar is not my downfall.

Jane, it’s definitely preferable. It’s not like I am young)

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Ha--Don't rub it in...
    But losing ten pounds a year is preferable to gaining, so...
    Absolutely. Good for you!

When my son was getting married in 2015 DH and I managed to modify our diets to enable us to fit into our outfits (me: a dress with a belt around the waist; him: his kilt). We did it in 3-4 months. DH's HbA1c fell below his diabetic/pre-diabetic numbers. I lost almost 20 lbs.

Now my DD is getting married in about 8 months, and I'm back on the wagon. I signed up for a program that assigns you a "buddy" because I don't think my DH is as motivated as he was the last time. He's already upset that I told him I'm not interested in big plates of pasta for the time being.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I suspect combining IF with a stricter low-carb approach would be just the ticket. Or at least limiting myself to resistant starch. Experiment n=1 ongoing.

Good luck with your wedding project, Catherine.

I'm been trying to lose weight for 5 weeks now (am doing Noom) and have actually gained half a pound.
    What are you looking for in an accountability partner, CL? How would that work?

Just somebody to check in with, to cheer and encourage and to whom to confess my “sins” if I have to.

I am hoping danna will cone back to tell me she resisted the junk food.

i did not eat the cookie (these grocery store cookies are good. They are free samples at the bakery counter.) I avoided the whole bakery area.

now I am typing this instead of sitting in the kitchen with dh eating nuts while ge finishes cooking. He said “dinner in 15” and I said “I’ll be right back.” I’m going to empty the dryer too.

i don’t think I’m going to get 30 minutes of exercise today.

Yes, I did resist the Junk Food and it is hard.
    I volunteer in nursing home Tuck Shop for 3 hours a
    couple of times a week.
    I brought a good bowl of soup and a serving of yogurt
    with frozen blueberries. Kept me full.
    I did not do the walk but, did 20 minutes of
    Richard Simmons dancing to the Oldies when I got home.
    If I can keep the sugar and carbs low and have sensible portions.
    A good amount of protein and vegetables.
    I will lose. I believe adding enough fibre makes a big difference
    in how you feel.
    love the quote about fitness in the gym and weight loss in the kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Just somebody to check in with, to cheer and encourage and to whom to confess my “sins” if I have to.

I am hoping danna will cone back to tell me she resisted the junk food.

i did not eat the cookie (these grocery store cookies are good. They are free samples at the bakery counter.) I avoided the whole bakery area.

now I am typing this instead of sitting in the kitchen with dh eating nuts while ge finishes cooking. He said “dinner in 15” and I said “I’ll be right back.” I’m going to empty the dryer too.

i don’t think I’m going to get 30 minutes of exercise today.
    No! The entire a bakery department of the grocery store is drek! Dont dissuade me, I have managed to convince my little brain of that. Hahaha. But seriously, my grocery store’s bakery makes cookies with shortening not butter and they are awful. There is one kind that's not awful, and after I eat it I have lardy residue in my mouth, ick.

Now if I could convince my little brain that deli food is yuck...

Iris lilies,

trust me, the deli is evil. Also the place you are 2nd most likely to get sick (salad bar is worse)

danna, good job resisting the junk food!

dh made a vegetable dish last night that was really good! It did have 2T of sugar in it, but some of that stayed in the sauce in the pan and I ate about 1/3 of the recipe. I also had a fat slice of rosemary bread, and blueberries for dessert.

Today I try again. One day at a time. I plan to start with hot cereal.
    I usually swim with Dd on Tuesdays, but I might have to cancel today.

Thread Information