Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Healthy choices/weight accountability

Healthy choices/weight accountability

Ok, I am terrible at self discipline. The same factors that make me want to make bad choices make me too worn down to stop myself.

dh is usually pretty good at helping me, but for some reason he has focused in on convincing me that I still look good and keeps convincing me I can “cheat” on my goals when I’m having a hard day (I think he’s going for the quick happy). But honestly, lately they are all hard days.

so I’m looking for (a) partner(s) who would also like to improve eating and moving behaviors (I don’t care if you want to gain/lose weight, but I would like to track my progress here) who will help keep me accountable.

i weigh 155. My knees hurt. My hip hurts. I don’t like the way my body feels when I move and I don’t like the way it looks naked. I seem to have gotten used to the pain and dh is undermining the last one, and not moving is a bad but too common solution. Also, many of my clothes don’t fit.

i need to do something active every day. Yesterday I cleaned stalls for 2.5 hours.

i need to eat better. This morning I had whole grain hot cereal with a tablespoon of honey and I remembered to take my vitamin. It was very tempting to eat brownies for breakfast. Dh left them on the counter. But I didn’t. Mornings are my strongest times.

CL, I wish you well on your weight-loss journey but I won’t be an Internet buddy.

Before Christmas I joined up with Weight Watchers, I need to lose a few sizes.

Recently I discovered Lizzo and her back up dancers, and was gratified to see I could join that group if I ever needed employment in the entertainment industry.But my goal is to become less Lizzo-back -up dancer – like.

Last Saturday I went to the thrift stores around Hermann and ran into a nice Jacket made of Cashmere and wool. It was so soft! I put it on and it was completely unflattering. And I remembered all the reasons why I don’t like Cashmere – it has no body. If one has lumps and bumps, the cashmere does not camouflage them. In addition, cashmere needs a level of care I’m not willing to give. Also I have a slight allergy to wool. For all these reasons this nice jacket was not for me so I reluctantly put it back on the rack.

Make sure you’re aware of the calorie content of that whole-grain cereal. Look I don’t eat it so I don’t know, but I did learn at weight watchers at oatmeal has a ton of points. That surprised me because oatmeal is disgusting to me why would anyone eat it? Eggs have only 2 weight watchers points. I love eggs.

Chicken Lady I am here with you.

I have all your complaints except but, no dh to tell me I look okay.
    He always did but, it has been too long to blame him anymore.
    This morning I was 162 and I am not happy!
    Back in Nov I was at 155
    and hoping to lose 15 lbs so now that is up to 22 lbs.
    I belong to a TOPS Group but, there seems to be way too many of us
    that are in the same rut of up and down but, never staying down.
    I have just ate 2 pickled eggs first food today. Not so good but, not all bad.
    I am volunteering this afternoon so I am going to walk 15 min each way
    and on my feet when there. I will pack a good lunch and snack because there
    is junk food everywhere there....
    I am looking to lose at least 1 lb a week.
    Best case I would be down to 140 by the end of June! Yeah
    Thank you for the invite to do this together.

I have found that the more carbohydrates I eat, the hungrier I get (see insulin resistance). (That doesn't seem to hold true within a fasting framework.)

Exercise is great, but it doesn't generally lead to weight loss (see Gary Taubes).

According to my nutrition program, you could have had two brownies for fewer carbohydrates/less sugar than the cereal and honey probably had.

For me, the gold standard seems to be lowish carb combined with intermittent fasting. The fasting lets me get away with more carbs, and the low carb lets me get through the day with no hunger. I've lost a moderate amount of weight, but mostly I'm confident I'm supporting my health.

I know what you mean about not moving--it's very tempting when moving is painful. Good luck with whatever plan you choose.

Iris lilies,

I have friends who have done WW, and from them I have learned that it works really well for some people, but I am not the right personality type.

whole grain cereal has lots of nutrition and makes me feel full.

thank you danna! Resist that junk food!

i am going to need more focus on the behavior than the weight. I am eating carrots for lunch and then I am going to go to a great class I am taking, where I get busy and not hungry. My big challenges today will be not eating a free cookie when I stop at the grocery store and not snacking if I get home before dinner is ready.

also, I need to fit in at least 30 minutes of exercise.

Jane, cross post.

brownies would have had me hungry again by eight.

my brother tells me “you get fit at the gym. You lose weight in the kitchen.”

It’s such a struggle as we age. 4 years ago it took me a year to lose 40lbs. I also do a lot of walking. I counted calories and limited myself to 1600 day which forced me to make healthier choices. IL, I love oatmeal and because it’s low calorie so ate lots of it. My back was going out a lot from the weight. Someone told me to pick one day a week for a cheat meal and not to count calories that day. She said it kept the body confused so it wouldn’t get used to the amount of calories you were eating. Eventually my body hit a point where I couldn’t lose anymore or if I did it came back so that has become my maintenance weight. Good luck everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    It’s such a struggle as we age. 4 years ago it took me a year to lose 40lbs. ...
    My loss has been closer to ten pounds a year. I hope to tweak it toward a slightly faster pace.

Wow Jane that’s really slow. I think you are about 10 years older than me so that’s probably contributing to the rate. So much fun getting old(

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Wow Jane that’s really slow. I think you are about 10 years older than me so that’s probably contributing to the rate. So much fun getting old(
    Ha--Don't rub it in...
    But losing ten pounds a year is preferable to gaining, so...

Thread Information