Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Healthy choices/weight accountability

I'm actually doing a market research study right now about obesity/weight gain/loss journeys. I'm speaking with 50 people of all different weight levels.

I feel that the right recipe for weight loss has to be diet in tandem with increased physical activity, especially for people past a certain age. The people who have been able to lose and maintain weight typically, from what I've seen so far, are those who aren't super-super restrictive. They have basically healthy eating habits, but don't follow any particular program or diet. If they have a craving they might give in a little (if they want chocolate, eating a little bit) and they don't beat themselves up for occasional guilty pleasures.

They want to enjoy life, and they do enjoy life. As a result, they don't have an austerity mindset. They learn to enjoy healthier foods, and they learn to enjoy exercise, which the successful ones do regularly. I've spoken to runners and walkers and even a female body-builder.

It's been a really interesting project.

My most personal successful weight loss came when I avoided simple carbohydrates. I did not feel deprived at all. I have just signed up for a self-mastery program, of which "energy" is a module, and that covers things like eating and exercising. I'll let you know how it goes, but in general, I'm looking to stay relatively strong and flexible for my age, and to lose about 10 lbs.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

It sounds like people are different in what their bodies require to function well. I have not hit on that yet. It is interesting to hear how different we are all, as to what works.
    When I find something that is working for my body, I will report back, thanks.

Catherine, your approach sounds more like what I am trying to do.

Yesterday I went into the chocolate shop in Hermann (Hermann has its own chocolate shop of hand made chocolates) where they were doing big business because of Valentine’s Day. I bought a pound of selected chocolates for DH.

I bought a giant peanut butter cup for me, and it probably amounts to half of my daily Weight Watchers points. But that is perfectly OK because I ate half of it yesterday, half today, and because WW gives extra points for the week, I’m well within points budget.

I saw a big loss on the doctor’s scale that afternoon, 4 pounds in 10 days. That seems too much really, so I’m waiting to see if that settles.I have been eating well with protein, veg, and a little carb, just reduced amounts. Drinking tons of water, 64 ounces each day.

Congratulations, IL, that's a lot in 10 days. WOW. Cool that WW is working well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Congratulations, IL, that's a lot in 10 days. WOW. Cool that WW is working well.
    I’m not celebrating yet. I think that’s probably the only time the doctor has heard “hey that scale can’t be right! “ meaning it’s too low. Something else is up here and I can’t figure out what it is because I was wearing the same clothing as last weigh in.

But no matter, this is a long process, it’ll be going on for months.

Have you changed exercise, too, or just your eating patterns?

Have you changed exercise, too, or just your eating patterns?
    Didn’t change anything except this: started drinking red wine! See, the reason I think this is really off is that the week before I lost 3 lbs. This is a very rapid rate of loss. It will not continue. I have 3-4 more sizes to lose, So I have a LOT to lose and weight falls off if you have a lot to lose or have something else going on health-wise. We shall see.

It sounds to me like you got your body chemistry straightened out, probably the red wine.

It sounds to me like you got your body chemistry straightened out, probably the red wine.
    I thought all wine came with calories. I thought il has always been a wine drinker.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information